Principal Technical Product Manager
Have you ever wondered how you can book a hotel on a mobile phone standing in the check-in line at the hotel, and have it ready when you step up to the counter a second later? Or, how one can select among millions of flight and hotel combinations, to provide an air-and-hotel package that is both attractive and significantly cheaper that what one would get buy them independently? And to do this at scale, in a blink of an eye, on sites spanning the globe in multiple languages and currencies for millions of requests a day without ever taking a pause.
The Lodging Booking Services (LBS) team is looking for a strong Technical Product Manager to join a team of high caliber individuals who thrive best when they're given free rein to own problems end to end. This is a team filled with people who love technology and succeed in ambiguous situations. We are a key part of the engine that drives lodging booking for Expedia Group. You will have an instrumental role in shaping systems that handle trillions of permutations of the same problem. The difference between 50 millisecond transactions and ones spanning 5 is measured not in time but in customer engagement. You will impact tens of millions of users worldwide with your products transacting billions of dollars and help forge systems which become the backbone of Expedia's future. In LBS we will keep you on your toes, challenge you to bring your utmost creativity and technical chops while offering you the opportunity to contribute to the core lodging stack and in the process, change the face of online travel!
As a Principal TPM, responsibilities include cross-organizational initiatives, identifying and defining best processes, and lead the portfolio of project work across the organization, working with TPMs and engineering managers in their specific areas. You will also be required to run detailed deliverable in areas as needed.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
What You'll Do:
- Lead multiple workstreams/initiatives working with teams across different time zones.
- Effectively communicate, identify risks and articulate with Leadership with potential solutions
- Work with teams to define the project governance, resources and plan for tracking delivery.
- Collaborate with internal business units, affiliates and users, facilitating workshops and document project and communication plans.
- Provide ongoing communication of status and risks to management teams internally, and garner support for changes in scope, schedule, and/or budget.
- Facilitate project meetings focused on status reporting, problem resolution, feedback, and cultivating open communication within the team on project planning and execution.
- Participate in tasks throughout project lifecycle phases including project planning, discovery, development, testing, release and post-release.
- Define and maintain processes for the team to deliver work on-time
- Maintain project management deliverables including the project plan, project schedule, status reports, meeting minutes, issue logs, and any other documentation related to the management and administration of the project.
- Understand the complexities of handling multiple projects, for multiple groups with impacts to multiple teams located across the globe.
- Serve as a mentor to junior members of the team
- Excellent communication skills
You'll fit this role if you have:
- 10+ years of program management and project management experience in a variety of E-Commerce applications or Infrastructure
- Deep experience in agile/scrum software delivery practices
- Experience with AWS services and cloud development patterns
- Strong working relationships with non-technical peers and a demonstrated ability to understand the workings of the overall business
- Advocate for product-wide quality and a passion to find tractable new ways to improve the group’s coding standards
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent demonstrable hands-on experience
- Project management experience working with agile development teams in a dynamic environment.
- A high degree of competency with project management and methodology including: scoping, issue & risk identification, general management, tracking dependencies, user acceptance testing, and communication of overall project status.
- A passion for working cross-functionally to drive high level solutions, resolve lower level operational issues, build strong working relationships, and draw upon experience translating between business and technology.
- The capability to facilitate and influence the resolution of challenging business/technology problems.
- The ability to understand the detail and the bigger picture of the project to keep progress on track.
- Best in class communication, active listening, and organizational skills.
- A bias to action and you are a self-starter with a curious mind, constantly striving to achieve better results, gain a better understanding of the business, and deliver better value to partners and customers.
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.