Product Designer at Geocaching HQ
About Geocaching HQ
We are the global headquarters for the game of geocaching. Our apps and Geocaching.com website allow a community of more than ten million people to join in a real-world treasure hunt.
Our mission (and yours should you choose to accept it) is to inspire and enable adventure, exploration, and community. Basically, everyone’s job here is to enable millions of people to have fun outside. How cool is that?
We are looking for a passionate, collaborative designer to drive experiences that get people off the couch and interacting with objects in the real world. This is a unique opportunity to be part of the full product lifecycle: interview players to learn their motivations and behaviors, work directly with engineers to find the best solution, and get immediate feedback as your designs go out to millions of players worldwide.
We need you to contribute the innovative features that will turn Geocaching into a trend-setter on the international stage.
What you’ll do:
- Work as a critical member within a team of product designers, product managers, and engineers to effectively collaborate with and deliver world-class experiences
- Create and/or build on what it takes to articulate the design: whiteboard sketches, user flows/ wireframes, interactive prototypes, visual design, and redlines
- Evaluate the usability of new and existing products and make constructive suggestions for change
- Review existing resources, interview users, gather requirements, present your designs, and explain the reasoning behind design decisions
- Contribute to the growth of the Product Design Team through critiques, brainstorms, discussions, and recommendations
- Effortlessly collaborate cross-team and maintain effective working relationships to evangelize design principles and drive results
Qualifications & required skills:
- ~3 years of practical UX and UI design experience, and/or B.A. or Master’s Degree in HCI or related field.
- A portfolio or sample work that clearly demonstrates successful implementation of user-focused design solutions
- Proficiency in Protopie, Miro, Sketch, and JIRA a bonus
- Solid understanding of interaction design fundamentals and best practices for responsive design
- Clear understanding of technical limitations of web and mobile and how to communicate your ideas to engineers
- Strong illustration and animation skills are a huge plus
- Passion for the outdoors and gaming, especially in the online/mobile sphere.
- Superb communication, interpersonal, analytical and negotiation skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Leads by example and exemplifies our values in actions and behaviors
- Exhibits tact and proper judgment under pressure and in sensitive situations
- Desire to learn and a “quick study” with new concepts, systems, and technologies
- Looks to leverage existing resources and seek guidance from senior team members to resolve unknowns and prioritize workload
- Uses independent judgment to plan, organize, and prioritize project design tasks
Physical demands and work environment
As we navigate the situation around the current COVID-19 pandemic, Geocaching is first and foremost committed to the safety of all employees. We will continue to follow state and local guidance for the gradual re-opening of our offices. At this time, nearly all employees are working remotely. We’re anticipating that the Product Designer role will also be remote for the time being.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to remain stationary for long periods of time. In this position, you must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the only duties, responsibilities, and qualifications for this job. Incumbents may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire related job skills and perform other related work as required.
Geocaching HQ embraces a diverse and inclusive workplace. Authenticity is one of our core company values and we strive to celebrate our differences. We encourage everyone to apply.