Product Director (Speedtest Consumer) at Ookla (Seattle, WA or Remote)
Ready to challenge yourself to dive deep and think big? Ookla, the company behind Speedtest and Downdetector, is a team of passionate individuals who have turned clever ideas into unique products and a thriving business. Globally, millions of tests are performed every day across the Speedtest ecosystem on the web, desktop and mobile apps, embedded in routers and deployed in thousands of servers. With all that usage comes countless ways to dissect and analyze our data to help make the internet better, faster and more accessible for everyone. If you crave the chance to do your best work in a flexible work environment where we value individuality and fun as much as we value talent, we want to hear from you.
Ookla’s Speedtest consumer products are used by millions of users worldwide every day to measure and understand network connectivity. We are looking for an experienced, hands-on digital consumer product leader to help us better serve those users, reach new audiences and find new ways to delight them all. We need someone who can be an advocate for our users while balancing the needs of our enterprise business which is powered by the consumer products. This role will work across the organization and with senior management; the ideal person is able to work seamlessly across teams to both be a bridge and driver.
We are people first, employees second at Ookla, and we know there is no one perfect path to any job. If you’re excited about the work we’re doing and think you have a creative new approach, please apply whether or not your experience matches the job description. We strongly believe diversity of all kinds makes us better. We are an equal opportunity employer actively working to build an inclusive workforce at all levels of the company. [Read our latest diversity report here].Expectations for Success
- Be the subject matter expert on relevant markets, the competitive landscape, and the needs of our current and prospective users.
- Work with stakeholders to shape the product vision in support of user needs and company goals; collaboratively develop and continuously communicate a rolling 9-12 month product roadmap to pursue that vision.
- Analyze and prioritize incoming feedback and feature requests from users, partners, and internal stakeholders and balance those against strategic initiatives to ensure that we stay focused on projects with the greatest business impact.
- Serve as the Product Owner for our consumer offerings, translating the product roadmap into an actionable, prioritized backlog of well-defined user stories for our Agile development team to execute against.
- Collaborate with our UX, design, and technology teams to help determine the best solutions, work through implementation issues, and strike a balance between “perfect” and “practical” to facilitate continuous improvement.
- Work across the organization to develop and execute go-to-market activities, including creation of pricing model, messaging, outreach campaigns, and tools or materials for sales enablement and customer onboarding.
- Build, lead, and nurture a small team of product managers over time to support the growth of our consumer product portfolio.
The heading says “requirements” but we’re looking for the right person not the exact list. If your life experience prepares you for similar challenges, we’d like to hear from you.
- Meaningful product management experience with highly adopted digital consumer products, demonstrating increasing responsibility and a record of successful product launches and iterations.
- Background and expertise in consumer web experiences, mobile applications, native applications and similar technical products and services is critical; experience in the service assurance or telecommunications industry helpful but not required.
- Proven success in analyzing and defining customer needs, finding new business opportunities, working with development teams on technical product requirements, and leading go-to-market efforts.
- Experience and preference for working in an Agile development environment as a Product Owner or similar role; CSPO certification helpful but not required.
- Track record of successfully building and leading product management teams, ensuring their professional development and growth.
People come first at Ookla. At the moment everyone is working remotely because of the pandemic, but we still have great benefits even if we are fully remote. We offer comeptative compensation, flexible schedules, transit passes, on- and off-site happy hours, team activities, lunch on Wednesdays and an office kitchen full of snacks (some of these benefits will resume when it is safe to do so). Our comprehensive benefits package includes pension matching, unlimited paid vacation and sick time, ESPP options, private health/dental insurance coverage and a stand-out parental leave. We make sure you have the best hardware, software and tools available for you to do your work, and we provide excellent flexibility for working remotely as time and responsibilities allow. Visit [our Built In Seattle page] for even more information.Location
While our preference is to have this person located near our Seattle office (we are still all remote), we are also open to having this position be remote elsewhere in the US. If you are working remotely occasional visits to our Seattle, USA headquarters or Memphis office will be expected (when it is safe to travel).This is a remote/office based position which may be performed anywhere in the United States except for within the state of Colorado.