Sr. Product Director
Overview of Position
Varsity Tutors is looking for a business-savvy Senior Product Director to join our growing team in building products and experiences that support our mission of helping people learn.
Product Directors at Varsity Tutors are customer-focused scientists: identifying the problems and opportunities that are most important to address, seeking and analyzing data and information to understand the space, forming hypotheses, then rapidly experimenting to find the best solutions. They are intensely customer focused, intellectually curious, analytical, have a high bias for action, are comfortable with ambiguity, and results oriented. They enthusiastically embrace new challenges and take every opportunity to learn.
Product Directors work collaboratively with engineering, design, and operations teams—those closest to customers--on a daily basis. We routinely “walk the floor” to understand the needs of our customers and contracted tutors so that we can remove friction and build best-in-class experiences that facilitate learning. The individual in this role defines features and processes, drives projects end-to-end, works closely with teams to implement solutions, analyzes results, and works directly with all levels of the organization from executives to any one of the hundreds of associates we have in the field.
Varsity Tutors is a fast-growing education technology company that is revolutionizing how people learn with new and innovative technology. Our award-winning online and mobile learning platforms connect students and professionals from all around the world with personalized instruction to achieve any goal. Varsity Tutors recently closed a $50M Series C funding round, bringing its total funding to $107M. The round was led by Learn Capital, with participation from The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and existing investor TCV, which will enable Varsity Tutors to further its vision of seamlessly connecting experts and learners in any subject, anywhere, at any time. Come join our fast growing team!
- Define creative, high quality, and outwardly simple products and solutions based on team strategy and vision
- Establish and build buy-in for the product vision with key stakeholders across the organization
- Develop detailed, crisp requirements and user stories to drive design and development
- Manage prioritization and trade-offs as a product owner among customer experience, performance, and operational support load
- Work closely with engineering, design, operations, and marketing teams solve problems for customers, including driving projects from inception through iterations and go-to-market approach
- Establish KPIs, measure performance of your products, analyze outcomes, and drive financial and operational results for the organization
- Identify, decompose, analyze, and solve problems that require analysis, often without precedent and/or structure
- Understand and manage financial levers such as revenue and contribution profit
- Lead, plan, and conduct periodic business reviews with executive leadership
- Share your towering strengths, skills, and strategies with internal teams to elevate the performance of the organization
- Product management and/or business leadership experience, preferably in managing an entire development cycle (conception through launch)
- Superior analytical and quantitative skills; experience using data and metrics to test theories, confirm assumptions, and measure success
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities simultaneously
- Proven ability to identify, analyze, and solve ambiguous problems with an extreme attention to detail
- Experience with agile and working closely with designers and engineers to drive feature definition and implementation.
- Thrive in a high-energy, fast-paced environment where tactical and strategic initiatives are driven in parallel
- Growth mindset and willingness to take responsibility for own learning, including learning from mistakes and failed experiments
- SQL proficiency ideal
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business, Economics, Mathematics or related field or equivalent experience is ideal; MBA or equivalent preferred
- Excitement about embracing and embodying the Varsity Tutors’ Leadership Competencies:
- Keep the customer in mind
- Remove friction
- Exhibit a bias for action
- Gather data and use information
- Are accountable
- Demonstrate intellectual curiosity
- Act as stewards
- Are comfortable with ambiguity
- Think big
- Build teams