Technical Product Manager II
What is the first thing you do while planning your travel? Do you want to work on a team that helps travelers like you go places and make our world more connected? Expedia Flights team is the traffic powerhouse for the Expedia group and our Flights Shopping Platform is one of the largest in the world serving over 150 million queries a day and powering some of the strongest brands in the industry like Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Wotif, Hotwire and Ebookers. Our technology operations are global, with representation in US, Mexico, Australia and India.
What makes Flights technology unique?
- We are one of the few companies in the world that develop a proprietary flight search engine (called Best Fare Search) which is used by millions of users every single day.
- We are moving one of the world’s biggest flights platforms to AWS.
- We handle several 100 thousand booking transactions daily and connect with all major GDS partners you can think of.
- We collect terabytes of Flights Data and are actively looking to use ML to show the right content to our customers.
Expedia is looking for an exceptional Technical Program Manager II to join the Flight Search Team. BFS, Expedia’s proprietary flight search and pricing engine, performs complex manipulations on massive and highly volatile datasets to power airline flight shopping for millions of customers every single day. You will have the opportunity to understand and craft the marketplace we are looking to create, solve extremely hard problems, and make design decisions which can have a large impact across the company. The systems you design and implement will be expected to meet the levels of scalability and robustness needed for this high-volume and high-visibility product. Bring your programming smarts, problem solving skills, and real passion for software engineering and join us as we solidify and grow our position as the leaders in the travel industry.
- Work closely with product management and other business partners to help define a product strategy that meets our customers’ needs while balancing scalability, performance, and resource costs
- Distill business requirements to define feature functionality, and lead a team of software design and test engineers in design, implementation and continuous delivery
- Effectively manage hard, high-judgment trade-offs between features and time-to-market
- Utilize data to drive our “test & learn” experimentation method, find opportunities for improvements and make informed product decisions
- Advocate for the product and evangelize your feature area to internal and external partners
- 5+ years of technical program/product management experience; preferably in a web/e-commerce environment
- Consistent record of executing technical solutions for challenging large-scale business problems and ability to assess trade-offs
- Ability to lead cross-functional technology teams with limited supervision to implement new features, advance system architecture and maintain the integrity of the production system
- High degree of competency in project management skills including: ambiguity and risk management, tracking dependencies and milestones, and project communication
- Experience with software development in a multi-tiered SOA environment – including large-scale transactional services and distributed systems
- Experience with Small and Big Data technologies and analytics
- Self-starter, detail-oriented and results-driven focus
- BS degree in Computer Science or similar technical discipline
- Experience in travel technology a plus
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.