Technical Program/Product Manager
Zipwhip is a Seattle-based SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) company providing text messaging to businesses across North America through cloud-based software and a best-in-class API solution. One of the 10 fastest-growing companies in Seattle as ranked by Inc., Zipwhip invented the technology that enables businesses to text using their existing landline, VoIP or toll-free phone number and communicate with consumers the modern way.
Zipwhip is aggressively investing in our people, product offerings and processes. We are backed by Microsoft Ventures, OpenView, Voyager Capital and a host of other investors, and are seeing rapid growth in both employees and revenue. Zipwhip is the only business-texting provider with direct connections to all Tier 1 and 2 wireless operators in the U.S., and we've delivered billions of texts to consumers nationwide.
Zipwhip employees come to work every day (to one of Seattle's coolest offices) inspired and ready to live out our DIRECT values: Determination, Innovation, Respect, Enthusiasm, Collaboration and Trust. If you want to be part of an organization where highly motivated thinkers are empowered to change the way we communicate with the world around us, then we'd like to hear from you.
What we're looking for:
Do you have an innate skill at making complex problems simple? Are you continually learning new technologies and management techniques? Would co-workers say you are an expert in Agile and Lean Program Management but not constrained by it? Do you enjoy negotiating between multiple stakeholders to arrive at the best decision for the company, even if everyone isn't happy? Do you love creating order out of chaos? Do you revel in turning teams into successful product execution machines? If you answered "yes" to all of the above then Zipwhip needs you!
What's the job really?
- Negotiate with multiple Product Managers to translate vertical product requirements and epics into horizontal product features and stories.
- Define and organize the most efficient and creative method for building technical products
- Track, run, and troubleshoot day-to-day meetings and processes
- Collaborate with team members on development, testing, design and spec issues
- Obtain cost estimates, and provide issue and risk identification.
- Track project metrics and broadcast status and driving decision-points when necessary
- Manage design and technical implementation reviews
- Play the dual role of Zipwhip and customer advocate
- You define the process and expectations, trust people to do the right thing, and manage by exception
- Think creatively about solving challenging business and technology problems
- Able to understand the balance between deadlines and doing what's right
What you bring to the table:
- Experience as a technical product or program manager in the SaaS space
- Managed a major software/service release cycle (e.g. story writing, setting schedules, prioritizing features)
- Ability to coordinate the work of several projects in a program using agile and lean program management
- A degree in a technical field or equivalent years of experience
- Experience working with contractors engineers, testers, developers, agencies, etc
- Experience prioritizing requirements, writing detailed functional specifications and coordination of cross-team efforts
- Understanding that perfection is the enemy of innovation but is always the goal
- You believe that working in a diverse environment creates better products
- Experience shining light on ambiguous information and processes in order to clearly communicate program status
- Extra points if you have both startup experience and have worked at a big company with good development processes.
What we offer:
- A fun, lively startup culture and one of Seattle's coolest offices, located across the street from Safeco Field
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Complimentary access to a fitness center
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage
- Full benefits package including parental leave, a matching 401k program, PTO, and medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Complimentary snacks, complimentary beverages, a subsidized cafeteria with lunch made fresh every day, and free lunch on Fridays catered by local chefs
- Complimentary shuttle access to office from King Street Station, Ferry Terminal and Yesler/Occidental
Zipwhip values a diverse team.
We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.