UX and Product Researcher at ServiceNow
ServiceNow is changing the way people work. With a service-orientation toward the activities, tasks and processes that make up day-to-day work life, we help the modern enterprise operate faster and become more scalable than ever before.
We transform old, manual ways of working into modern digital workflows, so employees and customers get what they need, when they need it – fast, simple, easy. Just as we help simplify & improve experiences for our customers, we strive to offer the same experiences for our team members.
This role is part of the Experience Organization, made up of passionate individuals that drive Insights (Market, Product, Customer, and UX research), product documentation and experience design activities across the ServiceNow platform and product solutions.
We are looking for a junior researcher to conduct UX and Product Research activities for a portfolio of customer solutions. This individual will partner with Senior (Research and Design) Staff and Product Management to identify stakeholder needs, develop strategic research plans, and execute research activities and analyses that generate actionable insights that inform product strategy, short- and long-term roadmaps, and positively influence new user experiences.
- Represent the needs of ServiceNow customers or partners and their end users associated with ServiceNow's products, competing products, or future concepts.
- Work with key stakeholders including designers, other researchers, and product managers to identify objectives, goals, timelines and research execution plan.
- Participate in planning and facilitation, analysis and reporting on various research initiatives.
- Conduct research from early discovery, usage and needs, through product design validation.
- Develop research plans, discussion guides, and other study materials with limited input from others.
- Apply appropriate research techniques and methods for the specific project. Methods such as individual customer interviews, focus groups, diary studies, and journey mapping to aid in the formulation of insights that improve product functionality and user experience.
- Should be comfortable participating in architectural design tasks such as user flows, information architecture definition, wireframing, etc. with the aim of communicating design opportunities to the broader Design and Product teams.
- Support design validation and/or iteration through iterative usability testing
- Validate design direction through participatory design, early concept testing, formative and summative usability testing.
- Collaborate on feature definition and user story creation as needed.
- Leverage existing ServiceNow user groups and communities as an additional channel for eliciting feedback.
- Communicate your findings through artifacts such as personas, journeys, task analyses, etc. as needed to your core team.
- Partner closely with Senior Design and Research colleagues to help influence the product strategy and roadmaps with validated user research findings.
What you need to be successful in this role:
- 1 to 5 years of direct experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in market, product, customer, user experience, or academic research. Preferably for product development purposes.
- Previous experience defining, planning and executing research studies including outlining objectives, goals, and timelines. This includes developing sample plans and determining the best data collection approach using quantitative and/or qualitative methods.
- Ability to develop insightful, probing questions that resonate with technical and business minded end-users using enterprise software.
- Capable of performing fundamental data analysis and synthesis to generate meaning from the raw data.
- Working knowledge of user interface design, usability evaluation techniques, perception, cognition, task analysis, experimental design and statistics.
- Exposure to design tools such as Axure RP, Sketch or other wireframe tools.
- Excellent written and oral communication abilities. Can prepare reports of findings and actionable insights, illustrating research data graphically and translating complex findings into written text. Experience working with and presenting research results to senior stakeholders.
- Willing to be proactive and take initiative to learn about ServiceNow products and customers.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision on research projects, including problem solving and critical thinking.
- Comfortable in a customer facing role where you need to represent the ServiceNow brand.
- Obsessed with the relentless pursuit of UX and product perfection.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Experience working with software or technical product development teams – preferably Enterprise IT software (e.g. ServiceNow, Microsoft, Oracle, Salesforce, PeopleSoft), ideally a background in Application Platform as a Service (PaaS) or Software as a Service (SaaS) applications.
- Expertise in one or more of the following product spaces: IT Security Management, IT Operations Management, Security Operations, HR Service Delivery, Customer Service Management (CSM), or Finance & Legal.
- Awareness of Mobile and web application design experience across various platforms (iOS, Android, Windows) including demonstrating an understanding of responsive web design.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology, experimental psychology or other related degree.
What we would love to see from you before or during an interview:
- An inspiring portfolio representing the process you follow to build Insanely Great Experiences
- Demonstration of any accessible projects you have built
Up to 10% annually
We provide competitive compensation, generous benefits and a professional atmosphere. This is a very collaborative and inclusive work environment where individuals strong on aptitude and attitude will have an opportunity to grow their professional careers through working with some of the most advanced technology and talented developers in the business.
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at (408) 501-8550, or [email protected] for assistance.