Director, Corporate Development at Expedia Group
Expedia is seeking to hire a Director of Corporate Development to help drive our next phase of growth. The Corporate Development team drove the process to raise almost $4B for Expedia Group and is now leading the charge to simplify Expedia’s operations and identify areas of profitable expansion together with our new CFO (formerly head of Corporate Development) and new CEO.
The Corporate Development group is responsible for (1) leading Expedia's acquisition activity globally; and (2) driving strategic initiatives across Expedia Group and its portfolio of brands (e.g. Expedia.com, Hotels.com, Vrbo, and Egencia among others).
The group is led by the Head of Corporate Development, who reports directly to the CFO of Expedia Group.
Expedia Corporate Development Overview
High deal volume: The group has executed 20+ transactions over the last 5 years, including the acquisitions of Orbitz, HomeAway, Travelocity, and Wotif; majority acquisitions of SilverRail and ALICE ; and significant investments in Despegar and Traveloka.
Impactful strategy projects: In a typical year, the team will tackle 3-4 major strategy projects that range from assessing industry trends and their impact on our businesses to recommending and implementing cross-business unit transformations
Small team: The team consists of 6 people with strong and diverse backgrounds (e.g. former investment bankers, private equity professionals, and McKinsey and BCG consultants with extensive M&A and strategy experience)
Frequent exposure to senior leadership: The group works closely with the leadership team of Expedia and sits next to the CEO.
Emphasis on career development: Corporate Development is a pipeline for some of the most senior positions in the company. Expedia’s CFO, Head of Corporate Development, Head of Corporate Finance, Egencia Division CFO and Head of Travel Partners Group Strategy and Transformation all come from the team, as did our former CEO.
What you’ll do
- Formulating and executing Expedia’s global acquisition strategy
- Generate acquisition strategies and themes both independently and in coordination with Expedia’s business unit leaders
- Source and screen potential acquisition targets
- Drive the due diligence and deal execution process, including: Negotiating principal transaction terms, Managing junior team members in financial modeling, valuation analysis and company/industry due diligence, Coordinating internal functional experts along with outside advisors in due diligence, deal structuring, and transaction document negotiations
- Lead entire acquisitions within the first 12-18 months
- Produce investment recommendation materials for review by Expedia’s board and senior corporate executives
- Managing Expedia’s corporate strategic planning process and individual strategy projects: Work with the CEO, CFO and Head of Corporate Development to define long range corporate level strategic and financial objectives, Guide business unit leaders through the development of long-range strategic plans, Assess business unit strategic plans and develop a corporate view on portfolio-wide gaps and opportunities
- Lead targeted strategy projects, including: Identifying key strategic questions warranting further exploration, Interacting with senior business owners to gather and share knowledge, Coordinating efforts of individuals across multiple business units, Managing junior team members in data gathering, analysis and slide creation, Synthesizing findings into presentations with clear and actionable recommendations
- Providing ongoing strategy and finance support to the CEO and board of directors: Work with the Head of Corporate Development and junior members of the team to produce materials for board meetings and to answer other key questions posed by the CEO
Who you are
- Outstanding performer with a demonstrated record of achievement at a top tier investment bank, strategy consulting firm, private equity firm or active M&A corporate development group
- Ideal candidate will have 6 to 8 years of total experience (ideally 2 to 4 years post-MBA) with a majority of experience in a mergers & acquisitions related function
- Demonstrated experience in leading the evaluation of acquisition opportunities (both strategically and financially) and managing the day-to-day execution of transactions
- Strong ability to think strategically and direct the team’s analysts in solving complex business problems
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, as this position will involve frequent, direct interaction with the senior executive team of Expedia
- Proven track record of academic, professional, and personal excellence and sound business judgment
- Bachelor’s degree is required. MBA or advanced degree, preferred.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.