Unity is the editor and ubiquitous engine that runs real-time content everywhere seamlessly and performantly. It allows creatives everywhere to bring their vision to life whether it is for tiny mobile games to console titles to cloud-streamed terabytes-of-data complex industrial visualizations. 3D worlds need complex and beautiful environments, and great authoring workflows and performant rendering for environments are key to success for real-time experiences today, and are critical to the success of Unity graphics’ ability to bring the creator’s vision into reality.
The environment team is responsible for the artist workflows for authoring worlds, from terrain sculpting and iteration, to biomes with state-of-the-art materials, millions of blades of grass or other environment details, to rivers and roads, and so much more. And all of these complex worlds must be rendered with utmost efficiency of a wide variety of platforms that Unity reaches. We want Unity's Environment technology to deliver state of the art workflows and technology that will enable creators everywhere.
To achieve this mission, we are looking for an experienced engineering leader. This role will define the environment team’s vision and goals, and drive execution to quality product solutions and successful adoption of technology. You get to shape how Unity creators are going to achieve amazing visuals through the power of 3D worlds. You will be a crucial part of shaping an impactful technology team to deliver on that goal.
- Advocate and act as a thought leader for the environment rendering technology and workflows within Unity
- Build and evolve the team; identify resourcing needs, provide growth and developmental opportunities to ensure that all employees reach their potential
- Grow and maintain working relationships with the team and the broader organization; especially those who affect the completion of the initiatives
- Communicate with project team and coordinate requirements with external partner teams in the product groups
- Closely partner with senior graphics leadership and collaborate regularly to help shape the strategy for environment technology for Unity
- Consistently identify organizational risks and orchestrate necessary actions to remove obstacles to success
- Execution and Project Management
- Establish a near-term operating plan for the environment domain area for all relevant teams, work closely with product management and the production staff to convert that to an execution plan validated against customers needs and priorities
- Partner with production to manage scope and quality; continuously assess and mitigate risk for assigned scope, keep the stakeholders informed through the duration of the project
- Define a project budget, determine task requirements, and assign tasks to team resources
- You have exceptional management and communication skills
- You have established senior technical leadership experience
- You display broad knowledge of graphics technology, ideally with deep understanding of environment rendering and authoring workflows, as well as real-time rendering and production pipelines
- You are have strong ability to lead a team to achieve results while tracking progress and manage risks
- You have demonstrated ability to understand and help establish the product vision and needs for a sizable area of ownership
- You have experience developing content pipelines for games and have a deep understanding of artist needs for environment creation
- You can balance technical, product, and requirements with successful outcomes
- You believe the buck stops with you - you build a culture of accountability and foster problem-solving capability in staff. You guide the team to resolve problems through empathetic yet focused communication
- Experience on developing AAA titles on multiple platforms, with mobile or high-end experience an extra plus
- Experience on working on a AAA game engine and full understanding of its architecture
- You have successfully shipped a visually ambitious game title (extra points for a large open world AAA, or excellence in environment)
- You have demonstrated ability to think strategically and translate strategy into results
- You are known to be a dedicated professional that would enhance any team
- A good knowledge of programming languages and software engineering practices
- Your love of math means you get excited to have discussions about complex integrals and you can hold your own in these conversations and relish in the process
About Unity Technologies
Unity is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
The company’s 1,400+ person research and development team keeps Unity at the forefront of development by working alongside partners to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Apps developed by Unity creators were downloaded more than three billion times per month in 2019 on more than two billion unique devices. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.