Professional Services Consultant
Chef Software is the industry leader in IT automation and DevOps solutions. We are a dynamic and rapidly growing software company with a strong sense of dedication to our customers and the Chef community. We work hard but try not to take ourselves too seriously. This is a very collaborative and inclusive work environment where individuals strong on aptitude and attitude will have an opportunity to grow their professional careers through working with some of the most advanced technology and talented developers in the business. We provide competitive compensation, generous benefits, and a professional yet relaxed atmosphere.
At Chef, we develop the world's best products for managing applications and infrastructure at scale, and we deploy them against real problems in all kinds of industries. We’re writing the rules of the cloud -- rules the world’s top engineers live, breathe and contribute to. Our platform is used to enable hundreds of millions of people around the world to chat, fly, present, bank, game, shop, and learn. Chances are the web applications you use every day have infrastructure built, deployed, secured and ran with our code.
The Chef Customer Success Team operates globally, and includes Customer Success Management, Technical Success, Professional Services, and Support. These teams work together closely to execute on programs and playbooks that enable our customers to become successful and grow.
A Professional Services (PS) Consultant helps drive adoption of Chef products and practices, and enables our customers’ transformation to more agile IT. They are a highly experienced practitioner in the area of DevOps, infrastructure and application automation solutions. Not only are they a Chef domain practitioner, but also a change agent to help customers get better in DevOps, Cloud Native, and effortless infrastructure. They frequently act as the face of Chef, whether in online communities, with customers, or at conferences and online gatherings. The PS Consultant’s leading duty is the completion of both on-site and remote customer projects, including installations, assessments, migrations, consultations, and trainings. As such, the position involves frequent travel.
This position requires completion of a clean background check upon hire and on a yearly basis.
- Provides engineering and consulting services in the use of Chef’s products, such as on-site customer installations, Chef training, cookbook development and usage, and development of custom code for customer migration or implementation.
- Trains groups and individuals on how to use Chef products for IT automation, configuration management, and continuous delivery, and evaluates such training to ensure that training is effective, using feedback and testing to continually improve the systems used.
- Delivers customer feedback to the Product Team, thereby influencing the product roadmap.
- Works within the Solutions Engineering team in the development of specific cookbooks or other Chef use cases to further build out the body of Chef knowledge in the Community.
- Develops and delivers excellent presentations on what Chef products can do, tailoring such presentations toward specific individuals; small or large organizations; or audiences at technology conferences or trade shows. Presentations may be live or online, and the PS Consultant articulates, with customers or potential customers, the advantages of system automation and the specific Chef advantage.
- Remains knowledgeable and up-to-date on changes and developments in enterprise computing infrastructure and cloud computing provider industries.
- Periodically collaborates with other Chef teams such as marketing, support, and sales to provide technical assistance and content where applicable.
- Documents services provided to customers, including new code, techniques and processes, in such a way as to make such services more efficient in the future and to add to the Chef Community. Works with the Engineering and Customer Success teams to supply documentation for Chef products.
- Uses social networks, online and otherwise, in a creative, significant way to reach a large audience of users and build the our community.
- Minimum of 5 years of shown experience in systems engineering/administration or software development.
- At least 2 years in design and implementation of Chef solutions.
- Experience in design and implementation of DevOps and automated configuration management tools and principles.
- Experience as a consultant or in professional services is preferred.
- Ability to work directly with customers, and with a commitment to their success.
- Demonstrably superb verbal communications skills, including a compelling and engaging presentation style that exudes confidence — significant training experience a huge plus.
- Experience in dynamic / scripting programming languages and Infrastructure Automation tools.
- Experience in training others in complex tasks and skills.
- Willingness to travel, up to 80%.
- Existing involvement in the Chef community is a bonus.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a similar field.
- Awesomeness trumps all other requirements.
Benefits are awesome — a competitive salary, equity for all, solid medical/dental benefits, 401(k), telecommuting, flextime, a variety of interesting projects, and brilliant co-workers.
At Chef, we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our products and our community to flourish. Chef is honored to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or Veteran status.
Read Full Job Description