Technical Program Manager III at Discovery Digital Media
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are seeking a Senior Technical Program Manager to join the team for our Magnolia product, a joint venture partnership between Discovery, Inc. and Magnolia. This is a critical role in helping us develop and launch the Magnolia product to solve practical problems for customers, improve their everyday lives, and create passionate and loyal fans. Within this role, you will be contributing to a large-scale application in a team environment and working iteratively to provide the best possible customer experience. You will be expected to learn new platforms and technologies quickly and work in a fast-paced environment.
The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable customer facing applications (Web, IOS and Android mobile apps, Connected TV apps such as FireTV and Roku) that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. The right candidate will possess a strong technical program management background, will have demonstrated experience leading medium to large projects. You will have experience in service-oriented architecture, project management and agile development methodologies with a proven track record of delivering results. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. You are a key influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative partner that makes other team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to others.
1. Lead planning, execution and delivery of projects across multiple teams around the world
2. Leverage your deep technical expertise, strong problem-solving skills and excellent leadership skills to come up with new ways to get things done
3. Research and define system integrations that will allow us to move fast and deliver with quality, balancing customer and business needs versus technical constraints
4. You will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make trade-offs.
5. Own communication for technical delivery across these projects with senior leadership and partner organizations.
6. Support the team in developing metrics and measuring their impact
• At least 5 years technical program management experience in a software product development environment
• Proven experience as a technical leader. Demonstrated ability to lead the design and development of complex applications.
• Strong sense of responsibility and ownership for the success of projects from inception to rollout and maintenance.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• A BS degree in computer science or a related field is required
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
• Experience in delivering customer facing applications on platforms such as web, Mobile ( IOS , Android), Connected TV ( Fire TV, Roku, TVOS)
• Proven analytical thinking, skills in metrics creation and project management, attention to details, and exceptional organizational skills
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Strong technical, analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and drive decisions
• History of teamwork and willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done.
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to [email protected]
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue