Ready to challenge yourself to dive deep and think big? Ookla, the company behind Speedtest and Downdetector, is a team of passionate individuals who have turned clever ideas into unique products and a thriving business. Globally, millions of tests are performed every day across the Speedtest ecosystem on the web, desktop and mobile apps, embedded in routers and deployed in thousands of servers. With all that usage comes countless ways to dissect and analyze our data, and plenty of exciting opportunities to optimize our monetization strategy. It also gives us the ability to help make the internet better, faster and more accessible for everyone. If you crave the chance to do your best work in a flexible work environment where we value individuality and fun as much as we value talent, we want to hear from you.
We are looking for an innovative, hands-on, customer-focused Technical Services Manager to lead a small, globally dispersed team that makes sure Speedtest’s world class server network is running as it should. This team is also responsible for the support needs of our high value customers that are licensing industry-leading Speedtest technology. As a Technical Services Manager, you will need to be exceptionally flexible and have a demonstrated ability to solve a wide range of complex technical and business challenges.
The ideal candidate will possess an uncanny ability to multi-task and independently prioritize their time to maximize business and customer benefit. They will be able to interact effectively across a wide range of functional roles and problem spaces, and will possess tremendous attention to detail. They will be able to work in an extremely fast paced, highly ambiguous, rapidly evolving environment. The ideal candidate must be able to communicate effectively with technical and non technical people across multiple geographies, and be able to develop effective customer relationships. The ideal candidate will also have a strong leadership background to enable them to build and develop a world class organization.
If you consider yourself to be a skilled technical manager that is motivated by opportunities to solve unique and challenging problems, if you have a strong desire to directly enable customer success, and if you want to work for a rapidly growing company that needs leaders instead of followers, this might be the place for you.Expectations for Success
- Directly manage and develop the team that is responsible for supporting Ookla’s enterprise solutions and global network of Speedtest servers
- Partner with internal business and technical teams to ensure timely issue resolution
- Develop and implement processes that improve team efficiency and responsiveness
- Act as a primary interface between the Technical Services, Engineering, and Product organizations
- Champion and advocate for customer success (be the customer’s voice)
- Continually develop your own knowledge and application of new technologies to support and enable growth of our customers.
- Think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges as your team helps our customers take advantage of Ookla’s products
We are people first, employees second at Ookla, and we know there is no one perfect path to any job. If you’re excited about the work we’re doing and think you have a creative new approach, please apply whether or not your experience matches the job description. We strongly believe diversity of all kinds makes us better. We are an equal opportunity employer actively working to build an inclusive workforce at all levels of the company. [Read our latest diversity report here].
The heading says “requirements” but we’re looking for the right person not the exact list. If your
life experience prepares you for similar challenges, we’d like to hear from you.
- 3+ years of technology-related support leadership experience
- Strong technical problem solving skills with a demonstrated ability to adapt to new technologies and learn quickly
- Systems Administration Experience (Linux or windows)
- Strong understanding of networking fundamentals including TCP & UDP based protocols
- Understanding of internet routing & traffic management methods including BGP, Anycast, and peering relationship
- Experience supporting & troubleshooting high performance network driven application including HTTP(s) and proprietary TCP based protocols
- Experience directly interacting with technical customers via email, ticketing systems, or phone
- Exceptional customer focus and bias for action
- Familiarity with internet, cellular and broadband technology and infrastructure a plus.
- Self-motivated with a track record of appropriate urgency and follow-through
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Self-starter who is excited about technology
- Experience driving process automation via scripting & programming
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, able to effectively communicate across all levels of internal and client organizations.
- Experience hiring, developing, and leading technical support professionals
- Experience supporting the needs of an international customer base a plus
We offer top-of-market compensation, flexible schedules, transit passes, on- and off-site happy hours, team activities, lunch on Wednesdays and an office kitchen full of snacks. Our comprehensive benefits package includes 401(k) matching, unlimited paid vacation and sick time, ESPP options, health/dental insurance coverage and a stand-out parental leave. We make sure you have the best hardware, software and tools available for you to do your work, and we provide excellent flexibility for working remotely as time and responsibilities allow. Visit [our Built In Seattle page] for even more information.