Assistant Buyer at Blue Nile
At Blue Nile, we believe that love deserves better. We are passionately driven to reimagine the fine jewelry experiences and disrupt the jewelry industry. From engagements to anniversaries, from welcoming a new child to the family to celebrating a promotion, from holidays to birthdays, at Blue Nile we celebrate all stories of love.
We bring a modern approach to life’s most important traditions because our customers deserve better. They deserve an exceptional experience. One that leaves them feeling happy and confident that they’ve found the perfect piece for their love.
We live by our values – As One Team we work together to win. We are Customer Obsessed, passionately and transparently helping our customers to find their perfect piece. We act with Speed and Quality with attention to every detail and are Driven to Disrupt; our curiosity, creativity and willingness to test and learn drives our business.
Blue Nile is looking for a passionate and talented Assistant Buyer to support initiatives for their product category within the Buying team. This position will assist the Buyers in managing Blue Nile’s assortment of high-quality, on-brand jewelry offerings. The ideal candidate will be a proven self-starter with keen product sensibility and strong analytical skills. The Assistant Buyer will actively communicate with both internal teams and external suppliers to manage our day-to-day business needs, ultimately helping the team to drive sales growth. This ambitious and enthusiastic individual will have a natural curiosity about the retail jewelry business and will be amiable to change as the business demands.
What you will you do:
- Assist in vendor management in collaboration with Buyer, actively managing vendor relationships, including vendor compliance enforcement and negotiating quarterly product returns.
- Prepare and analyze weekly and monthly reporting; need ability to recognize, analyze and quantify trends in the business and suggest actions to maximize growth and minimize risk.
- Support the Buyer in strategic product development, including: product selection, sample and quality reviews, pricing strategy, and SKU item set up.
- Own and audit SKU item set up for proper, accurate content
- Maintain assortment recap documents combining new development with existing assortment.
- Manage receiving and inventory of all product samples.
- Assist in site merchandising, showroom assortments, and marketing initiatives including providing input on featured items, product movement tracking, and logistics.
- Monitor the competitive landscape in key categories for product, marketing, and promotional trends.
- Lead merchandise support for customer service, including escalated issues and product education.
- Lead work flow and priorities for merchandising coordinator team.
- Collaborate cross functionally with multiple departments on strategic initiatives including planning, marketing, user experience, public relations, sourcing, creative, web/site, and development/tech teams.
What you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of one or more years of retail buying office or e-commerce experience preferred
- Strong sense of urgency
- Self-starting; ambitious and self-assured
- Strong and effective communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and maintain accuracy in a fast-paced environment
- Analytical and detail oriented with strong Excel skills and an understanding of retail math
- Strong product sensibility; experience with design (product, industrial or architectural)
- Project management experience a strong plus