Assistant Buyer at Blue Nile
Blue Nile was created in 1999 by a man in love. He wanted to propose to his significant other and had the nervous excitement we all feel for that person who is just … right. But that excitement was met with frustration because of an outdated method for engagement ring shopping that only offered confusing information, limited choice, and commissioned salespeople. He knew there had to be a better way and founded Blue Nile based on a simple idea: Diamond engagement rings and fine jewelry should be fun, easy, and understandable. After all, they are meant for celebrating love.
This was a radical idea in the industry. That’s how we knew it was right. More than 500,000 couples have said “yes” to a better way to buy diamond engagement rings and fine jewelry gifts. And if you want to be part of a company that’s always blazed its own trail, we want to talk.
Blue Nile is a company of doers and everyone does their part to make the customer experience perfect. Far from a cog in a machine, the company’s structure can make you highly visible and offers the ability to learn, try new things, and see the impact of your work – regardless of level.
Blue Nile is looking for a passionate and talented Assistant Buyer to support the company’s buying team. This position will assist the Buyers in managing Blue Nile’s assortment of high-quality, on-brand jewelry offerings. The ideal candidate will be a proven self-starter with keen product sensibility and strong analytical skills. The Assistant Buyer will actively communicate with both internal teams and external suppliers to manage our day-to-day business needs, ultimately helping the team to drive sales growth. This ambitious and enthusiastic individual will be passionate about the retail jewelry business and will be amiable to change as the business demands.
- Support the buying team in product selection, cost analysis, pricing and system set-up in line with the Blue Nile brand
- Actively assist in managing vendor relationships; including cost negotiation, compliance enforcement and return-to-vendor agreements
- Contribute alongside cross functional members to maintain profitable, productive inventory
- Create and manage all purchase orders for the department, ensuring timely confirmation and delivery
- Actively track and manage all backordered merchandise with each supplier to effect timely resolution
- Manage special order requests from start to finish
- Manage receiving and inventory of all product samples
- Monitor the competitive landscape in key categories
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of two or more years of retail buying office experience preferred
- Self-starting; ambitious and self-assured
- Strong and effective communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and maintain accuracy in a fast-paced environment
- Analytical and detail oriented with strong Excel skills and an understanding of retail math
- Strong product sensibility; experience with design (product, industrial or architectural)
- Project management experience a strong plus
What We Offer:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Healthcare Coverage
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Paid Vacation
- Competitive Salary
- Transportation Allowance
- Employee Discount
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Fitness Center Discount