Associate Buyer at Blue Nile
Blue Nile is the largest online retailer of certified diamonds, engagement rings and fine jewelry. We provide a superior customer experience, extraordinary value and industry leading product quality and style. We obsess about our customers and are passionate about providing each customer with an amazing experience.
We embrace a culture of adaptability. Our team is nimble, innovative and resourceful and makes an impact on both the business and each individual customer’s personal experience. We value hard-work, flexibility and curiosity; we collaborate to creatively solve problems, constantly improve and implement meaningful changes. Our team celebrates achievements and is inspired by success.
Blue Nile is looking for a passionate and talented Associate Buyer who will support the management of product categories and help to execute Blue Nile’s merchandising vision of the business. As a key member of the merchandising team, the Associate Buyer will play a critical role in product creation, assortment management, vendor negotiations, and product merchandising.
- Drive maximum sales and margin in product categories through the execution of the product assortment strategy, price negotiations.
- Support in the development and management of vendors. Support in the management of vendor performance and compliance.
- Collaborate with the buyer and vendor base to maximize new product launches, first-to-market opportunities and exclusivity arrangements.
- Monitor, evaluate and analyze business results and product performance to drive sales and profitability.
- Develop an understanding of the industry, seasonality and global trends/events, and continually monitor competitor/industry developments.
- Keep up-to-date on product trends within and outside of Blue Nile’s product mix.
- Support in the sourcing and selection of merchandise consistent with the Blue Nile brand and target market.
- Support vendor negotiations, including terms, discounts, and returns
- Lead and manage Assistant Buyer/Merchandising Assistant, providing clear direction, training and direction as needed.
- Schedule vendor appointments, agendas, and lead applicable on site meetings with appropriate vendor business recaps. Support the buyer to cchedule off site meetings and agendas with appropriate meeting business recaps.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in business, purchasing, merchandising, supply chain management, finance or related field.
- 5+ years of progressive work experience as an assistant buyer.
- Analytical and detail oriented with strong Excel skills and a strong understanding of retail math.
- Strong product sensibility and experience with design and product development (product, industrial or architectural).
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills; project management experience desired.
- Highly self-motivated with ability to carry out directives in a fast-paced, multiple-priority environment.
- Ability to independently carry out responsibilities and exercise appropriate judgment
- Great team player and collaborator.
- Strong working knowledge in Microsoft Office.