Director, Business Manager (Engineering Team) at Zipwhip
We are one of the main reasons it is possible to text with a business today. Zipwhip was the first company to enable texting on existing business phone numbers, and we are now the world’s leading business-texting software and API provider. More than 35,000 companies use us to increase customer engagement and drive growth through texting on their existing landline, VoIP, or toll-free phone number. Intuitive cloud-based software, an enterprise-grade API and direct network connectivity mean businesses can use any computer or mobile device to reach their customers securely and reliably, every time.
Our strong venture backing allows us to aggressively invest in our product, technology, and team; we have received nearly $100 million in funding from the likes of Goldman Sachs, M12 (Microsoft Ventures) and OpenView. We are consistently ranked one of Washington’s fastest growing workplaces and were voted the 6th best place to work in the state by Seattle Business magazine.
Every day we work to uphold our core DIRECT values: Determination, Innovation, Respect, Enthusiasm, Collaboration and Trust. We know that we will build better products if we have a diverse and inspired team that is encouraged to make mistakes and experiment.
If you want to be part of a team where you are supported and empowered to change the way the world communicates, then we would love to hear from you.
How this role makes an impact:
You will work closely with the senior leadership team of the engineering organization in driving the rhythm of the business - thinking holistically and strategically about key operational rhythms, processes, procedures enabling effective execution. This includes the coordination of cross-team initiatives and an effective communications strategy within the engineering organization and across Zipwhip. You will be considered a full-fledged member of the senior leadership team.
Within this role, you will be focused on continuous operational improvement and effectiveness through means of using your expertise to identify issues that impede execution success. This will be accomplished in part through means of working proactively to address operational rhythms, engineering processes, procedures, aimed at improving the effectiveness of the leadership team, and the overall engineering organization with every iteration of every process and rhythm of the business.
The role is a direct report to the Chief Engineering Officer and is responsible for providing direct support to the engineering leadership team. As a member of the Leadership Team, you are expected to be a full contributor to all leadership discussions and topics, participating in most relevant meetings and offering synthesized perspectives relevant to influencing key strategic decisions.
What you'll be working on:
- Developing and managing annual, semi-annual, and quarterly processes specific to strategy refresh, technical priority development, etc.
- Driving key upward and horizontal review processes including regular execution updates, execution scorecard meetings, organizational communication and action definition, delegation, tracking and management.
- Tracking status and managing communication on engineering and technical dependencies, particularly those which rely on delivery from organizations outside of engineering.
- Leading key ongoing/regular operational review processes specific to the engineering organization, (service health, incident post-mortem, and proactive health metrics).
- Helping the engineering senior leadership team to filter and balance priorities to align their time and focus with key priorities of the business including prioritizing and setting cadence of appearances for the engineering organization’s events (e.g. all hands).
- Translating dialogs/strategy into actions and/or projects that achieve leadership expected outcomes.
- In partnership with People Ops, driving the internal executive communication function of the organization, including broad employee engagement and reinforcement of organization vision and culture through planning and execution of the leaders’ communication strategy.
- Building operational rhythms and calendars which anticipate the delivery needs of the organization and enable the leadership team to operate effectively and efficiently.
- Managing cadence, agenda and logistics for leadership meetings and offsite meetings.
- Proactively identifying issues that impede the engineering organization’s success and providing solutions/recommendations.
- This role is also expected to take point leadership on irregular and unanticipated operational topics that are operational in nature, including driving strategic initiatives.
- Proactive management of organizational budgets and spending, including purchasing and financial approvals.
- COGS, R&D, Opex, and headcount management across engineering.
- Facilitate successful implementation of organizational plans.
The skills you will need
- 5+ years of related experience to program and project management.
- 7+ years’ experience delivering software products and/or operating software as a service
- Demonstrated ability to influence senior leadership on complex topics.
- Systems thinker, able to manage a high degree of complexity and to distill information into simple messages, able to think both strategically at a global level as well as effectively developing key processes.
- Exceptional cross-organization coordination and communication skills including ability to build comprehensive and compelling presentation and communication materials.
- Strong interpersonal skills including ability to build trust, influence, and foster relationships with diverse team members; ability to leverage relationships to drive consistency of approach and ensure delivery.
- Ability to balance varying responsibilities that span rhythm of business, communications, senior leadership management, and culture.
- Passion to foster a culture of efficiency and high performance through initiatives, training & education, and communication.
- Strong project management skills and ability to lead multiple high-profile projects of varying timelines simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively collaborate, influence, and leverage outside resources to drive results.
- Manages confidentiality without exception.
- Ranked the #6 best workplace in Washington in 2019 from Seattle Business magazine and The Puget Sound Business Journal
- We value diversity and strive to create an environment where everyone can feel safe, valued, empowered, and connected.
- A fun, lively startup culture and a brand new Headquartered office in Seattle (we can’t wait to get back there post COVID) We don’t just talk the talk. Our award-winning culture stems from having a core set of values that are lived daily and are at the forefront of all we do.
- Ample opportunities for professional growth, internal advancement and movement, and company-supported learning.
- Competitive compensation and stock options.
- Full benefits package including parental leave, retirement plan options, PTO, and medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- Virtual wellness offerings (yoga, meditation) and other wellness offerings.
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage.
- A culture of transparency and open communication, including a weekly Company update meeting (catered weekly lunch when on-site working) hosted by our CEO
Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job.
This job is work from home friendly though occasional travel to Headquarters post COVID will be necessary.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity of all kinds. We prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally recognized basis. This includes, but isn’t limited to, race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, creed, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
We are an E-verify participating employer.