Sales Development Representative
Paying the right way, getting paid what you’re worth — it’s complicated, and it matters. Compensation used to be a dark art. Not anymore. PayScale helps employers and their employees understand the right pay for every position and effectively communicate about compensation.
PayScale pioneered the use of big data and unique matching algorithms to power the world’s most advanced compensation platform and continues to be the compensation market leader, featured in G2 Crowd's 100 Best Software Companies for 2018, based on user reviews.
What We Do: The Sales Development team works closely with both Sales and Marketing to drive interest in PayScale's solutions, identify potential buyers, and use compelling messaging to pique the interest of our prospects. Our goal is to help compensation professionals learn how PayScale can empower them to adopt a modern compensation strategy.
What You Do: In this role you will build a strong sales foundation by learning everything from objection handling, prospecting, lead qualification, research, customer personas and more. You are the first impression for our potential clients and therefore have a huge impact on PayScale's success.
Day-in-the-Life: As a Sales Development Representative, a typical day may include the following…
- Contacting at least 75 prospects every day through various outreach tactics including phone (heavy phone), email, and LinkedIn
- Researching prospective companies and potential buyers to target
- Maintaining up to date records in sales tools like Salesforce and Outreach
- Collaborating with full cycle Account Executives to develop quality opportunities within assigned geographic territories
- Continued learning through mock calls, formal training, and regular coaching and feedback
First Year in Role:
- Month 3: You will learn the ins and outs of the role through a combination of classroom style training, frequent practice and feedback, and shadowing your team members
- Month 6: You will be working with an Account Executive to strategically prospect a territory for new opportunities and continuing to hone your skills in discovery, objection handling, and targeted messaging
- Month 12: You will be a leader on the team and take an active part in improving the team as a whole, as well as assisting newer colleagues and developing more advanced sales skills
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Curious and active listener: You have a deep hunger to learn, coupled with a willingness to experiment. You ask a lot of questions. You recognize there is a difference between "hearing" and "listening" and you even pick up on what's not being said.
- Resilient and self-motivated: You're always striving to build upon previous successes. You realize that the quickest path to success is through quick failures, so you aren't afraid to jump in and try something new.
- Detail oriented: The little things matter! You're able to craft a process that keeps you on track.
- Tech savvy: you love experimenting with new technology, and you quickly learn and adapt to new processes.
- Exceptional verbal and written communicator: You are clear, concise, professional, and engaging over the phone. You have the ability to write a confident, persuasive, and professional email.
- Collaborative: When we all succeed, we're better for it. You share your recipe for success without even being asked.
Tools: We'll teach you everything you need to know, but it's helpful if you are familiar with...
- Salesforce or a similar CRM
- Outreach or a similar sales enablement platform
- MS Office Suite, especially Outlook
Meet Your Manager: Rachel Gruenwald and Brooke Goddard lead the Sales Development Team with assistance from Team Captains MacKenzie Fuentes and Jake Giles. We work closely together to boost every member of our team with ongoing individual support, coaching, and learning and development opportunities. We have high expectations and will do everything we can to help you exceed them. We also consider ourselves the most fun team at PayScale and enjoy celebrating our wins, growing from our losses, and working to make each other better every day.
Hiring Process: “Change is the only constant in life (and PayScale)” – Heraclites (okay, so we paraphrased a bit). The hiring process outlined below is a rough overview, and is subject to change based on business priority, interviewer availability, etc.
- Your application is received and vetted by the recruiting team
- We'll schedule a phone conversation with a talent acquisition specialist to learn about your interest and potential fit
- We'll invite you to an in-person interview consisting of individual meetings with hiring managers and team leads, as well as a "day in the life" shadow opportunity
- We'll give you a prompt to research and prepare a short pitch to practice over the phone with one of our hiring managers
Benefits and Perks – The Highlights:
- Unlimited Paid Time Off policy
- 10 paid holidays AND Summer office closure the entire week of July 4th
- Amazing Medical/Vision/Dental/Prescription coverage: 100% company-paid premiums for employees; 50% for eligible partners and dependents
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options for pre-tax employee allocations towards: Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, and Transit
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, and Company-paid Life Insurance
- Competitive Maternity and Paternity Leave, and onsite Mother’s Room
- 401k which vests immediately, complete with company match
- Onsite bike storage, lockers, showers, and clothes dryer
- Ergo friendly chairs and sitting-standing desks
- Company-hosted happy hours every Friday afternoon
- Fido Fridays (our canine colleagues join us the first Friday of every month. WOOF!)
Equal Opportunity Employer: PayScale provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. PayScale complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities