Nori is a startup founded in October 2017 with the mission to enable global engagement for mitigating and reversing climate change via carbon removal. By providing a marketplace where anyone in the world can pay for and get paid for removing and storing atmospheric carbon dioxide, Nori acts as a financial mechanism that will create new opportunities for climate innovation and carbon removal.
We’re iterating on the carbon offset space. Historically carbon offsets have been mired with opacity which then leads to a lack of confidence and trust in what projects are supported. Additionally, most carbon offsets (95%) represent paying someone to do less of a bad thing, i.e. mitigating emissions.
Nori is different in three key ways. First, Nori only supports carbon removal, or carbon sequestration, which is the only method that can actually reverse/negate carbon emissions. Second, Nori is the only platform with end-to-end marketplace of credits. Because we work directly with project owners who “supply carbon removal”, maintain the retirement of carbon removal credits, and track this all on the blockchain, Nori is providing a transparent and credible way to pay for carbon removal directly from project developers with no price markups. Lastly, with Nori’s API, businesses can offer environmental action and engagement directly to their customers at check-out or in-app, and immediate provide information on the project they supported, with immediate create of certificates with the customers name on it.
We highly recommend that you review the information about Nori and its team before applying to this position at https://nori.com/careers.
Knowing us better will save you time, allowing you to assess whether or not we are a good fit each other, and will also give you better context for completing the job application below.
The role of a Supply Enrollment and Account Manager, Agriculture at Nori
Why we need you
This is the best time in history to be building a marketplace for storing carbon in soil! Large corporations are making new commitments to remove CO2 every month, and farmers are showing more interest than ever before to farm carbon. We have so much interest on both the supply and demand sides that we need more hands on deck to process all these farm projects. [add more if you want]
Who You’ll Work with
You’ll be working within the Supply team to enroll farmers into the Nori program that incentivizes and rewards the adoption of regenerative agricultural practices. As an internal stakeholder and representative for our customers, you will also be responsible for advocating for your customers any suggested changes to the process that would improve their experience.
Five key components of the role include
- Project creation and data review for farmers and agricultural channel partners. You’ll be working directly with farmers and managers from other agricultural companies who are enrolling their projects (by sending and uploading land management data) into the Nori US Croplands program. This involves building relationships, training and guiding folks in both expectations and the process of enrollment, providing quality checks and troubleshooting the data provided. The process of enrollment comes with a lot of questions and this role is expected to serve our customers at each step to the complete the enrollment process. You’ll be responsible for answering any questions farmers have on the process and requirements. This is a large part of the role and requires hands on data review and sometimes entry.
- Creativity and problem solving Creativity and resourcefulness are two important skills for this role. This is a new marketplace for agricultural carbon removal projects, and we’re doing things in a way that have never been done before. Meaning the process for enrollment and the requirements of farmers can and will change. Your proactive problem solving and anticipation of needs will make you successful in this role by identifying and articulating when, where, and what issues exist. You will have the freedom to address these issues and suggest potential improvements for the both supply team to adopt into the process and the product team to design into the platform.
- Progress management Defining and tracking customer and channel partner pipeline. We use spreadsheets to track the progress of each project and you will be responsible for keeping your accounts up-to-date. You will support channel partners and customers with consistent check-ins and provide progress reports both internally and externally
- Team collaboration You’ll work with a team of other account managers who are also responsible for enrolling projects into the platform. Team collaboration includes daily stand-ups on account statuses to your immediate team as well as monthly status updates to the company as a whole.. While you will have your independent work and will be responsible for your own accounts, this role requires a lot of team work and being able to troubleshoot. You should be able to work within diverse teams and maintain a steady sense of clarity, calmness, and empathy.
- Sustainability and soil health interest Nori’s vision is to reverse climate change. In this role, you will help drive this mission through increasing the amount of carbon stored in soil due to sustainable farming practices. We need someone with knowledge and passion around these topics.
Characteristics of a successful account manager
- Agricultural background. This position is centered around meeting farmers' needs as they enroll their land in Nori. Therefore, it is necessary for the person in this role to have experience with farming and in agricultural settings to build rapport, speak the language of farming, and to most effectively communicate and gather data from our customers.
- Detail-oriented. There is a lot of data that farmers are providing to create projects, and you are responsible for making sure that Nori has all the information needed to create the project with as little burden on the farmer as possible.
- Communicative. It’s important to communicate as often as daily with your accounts. We’re looking for people who are able to communicate by both listening and providing concisely and clearly delivered information.
- Strategic. An ability to develop and execute strategic plans based on customer backgrounds and our product demands.
- Proactiveness. If you can anticipate issues before they arise, and suggest alternative and reasonably attainable pathways, you will be invaluable to the team.
- Enthusiasm and passion. Genuine enthusiasm for the work we are doing from both the climate aspect and from the regenerative agriculture aspect will make someone in this role feel fulfilled.
- Calm and empathetic. We are a startup, after all! Things can get intense, and those who can continue the work with a balanced approach, staying focused on the facts, giving time to uncover misunderstandings, and who act with empathy to both internal and external stakeholders will see great success in this environment
- Self starter and executer. You love taking on new challenges and finding ways to get things done.
How success will be measured
- Weekly progress of accounts through the customer pipeline
- Monthly enrollment of projects reported on a count of projects, acres, and Nori Carbon Removal Tonnes (NRTs)
- Number of completed projects in the pipeline and the time to complete enrollment
- Total time to enroll a project
- Customer satisfaction metrics
- 3+ years in agricultural setting (on farm, education, profession)
- Experience with google sheets or microsoft excel
- Experience with GIS and field boundary formatting
- Experience in account management or customer relations
- Experience in sustainability topics (soil health, climate change, regenerative agricultural)
- Strong communication skills
What’s in it for you
- Four weeks paid time off, increases to five weeks after your first year. Plus holidays. Taking time off is essential, and we want you to recharge in whatever ways you see fit.
- Full medical, dental, vision benefits covered for you and dependents. It’s a great plan with a very low deductible. With an insurance company called Premera that is (weirdly) beloved in the Seattle region.
- Stock options.
- NORI tokens, proportional to the stock options.
Additional requirements for this position
This position will be located in Seattle, WA. But relocation is not necessary until Spring 2021 at the earliest—dependent on safety from the pandemic. We are working remotely today, but plan to be back in our Seattle office once it is safe to do so. This role will require some travel in the future, but it is expected that most work will happen in the office.
How to apply to join our team
On average, this form takes people between 30 min. to 60 min. to complete. How much time you invest is 100% up to you. However, please note that the more context and detail you provide, the more you'll get out of the exercise, and the easier it'll be for us to determine whether or not you'd be a fit for this role!
We strongly advise you to use your desktop computer (vs. your mobile device). Doing so will inspire you to produce a better writing sample.
Once you’ve submitted your form, you can expect to hear back from our team in the coming weeks.
Thank you in advance for your time!