Chief Beauty Editor
About the Role:
RealSelf is seeking an exceptional Chief Beauty Editor responsible for setting and managing the editorial voice for RealSelf, both on its blog and website. This Chief Beauty Editor also writes for the RealSelf blog weekly, as well as for other websites as a guest editor. This person will also be one of a handful of primary company spokespeople, and should be excited about doing frequent on-camera and print interviews.
RealSelf stands alone in the area of medical aesthetics as an unbiased truth-teller that puts the consumer first. The Chief Beauty Editor is an expert in the beauty category and passionate about helping consumers make smart, confident decisions about aesthetic procedures. The stakes are high, as many RealSelf users are grappling with surgical procedures costing thousands of dollars. This person will also play a large role in making the RealSelf brand stand for something bigger than aesthetic procedures by weaving our point-of-view and data into important issues in today’s society. Example of themes we’re interested in are modern feminism, the changing definition of beauty, age and ageism and even diversity in tech.
In this role you will:
- Develop big, breakthrough ideas in beauty, aesthetics and issues-driven themes
- Write and publish articles weekly
- Manage and support the editorial planning process and coordinate with other teams on cross-functional campaigns
- Use video to enhance storytelling
- Be the most knowledgeable about the latest in hardware, procedures, and industry trends
- Conduct media interviews and attend events on behalf of RealSelf
- Manage writers and work closely with content producers, senior executives and doctors
- Build the RealSelf blog into a respected and authoritative media property
- Advise on creative design and advertising campaigns as needed
Why this role is exciting:
The Chief Beauty Editor will report to the Chief Brand and Communications Officer. He or she will work closely with the RealSelf communications team, data scientists, search engine optimization experts, video producers, designers and other writers to build RealSelf into an iconic consumer brand. This is an unusual opportunity for a beauty writer and editor to play a leadership role in a high-growth, venture-funded consumer internet company.
You may be the right fit if you have:
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, English or a related field
- 6+ years of experience as a writer and/or editor in beauty or a beauty-related field
- 3+ years of experience managing and developing writers
- The ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while meeting daily deadlines
- A track record of creative ideas and innovative thinking
- Attention to detail combined with passion for speed and efficiency
- Experience as a media spokesperson, especially on-camera, is a plus but not required
Depending on base location, travel to New York, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco and other major markets as needed. One or two trips per month on average. If based in a city other than Seattle, travel to Seattle for approximately one week per month is required.
The RealSelf office sits in a historic Pioneer Square building. Employees also have the option to bring their dogs to work!
Millions of people from around the world visit RealSelf each month to browse patient reviews, before and after photos, and medical expert answers to discover which treatments and providers live up to their promise of being “Worth It.” RealSelf.com is the leading consumer destination in the $32B US medical aesthetics market. We make it easy to get the information and deep support needed to make confident purchase decisions. Since 2006 our authentic stories, unbiased ratings, and expert answers from board-certified doctors have helped millions of people explore treatments and decisions that range from laser skin resurfacing to highly considered cosmetic surgery. With the backing of world-class investors we’re growing RealSelf into a global business with a broad range of services. Come join our super talented and passionate team!
Check out our realselflife Instagram account to keep up on company updates and learn more about life at RealSelf.
RealSelf is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.