Content Specialist at Ookla
Ready to challenge yourself to dive deep and think big? Ookla, the company behind Speedtest and Downdetector, is a team of passionate individuals who have turned clever ideas into unique products and a thriving business. Globally, millions of tests are performed every day across the Speedtest ecosystem on the web, desktop and mobile apps, embedded in routers and deployed in thousands of servers. With all that usage comes countless ways to dissect and analyze our data, and plenty of exciting opportunities to optimize our monetization strategy. It also gives us the ability to help make the internet better, faster and more accessible for everyone. If you crave the chance to do your best work in a flexible work environment where we value individuality and fun as much as we value talent, we want to hear from you.
Ookla is looking for a Content Specialist to support the growth of its editorial program and broader consumer and enterprise brand presence.
This role is ideal for an individual who already has entry-level experience in their marketing, writing, or journalism career and is now looking to grow their skills in a challenging, dynamic work environment with the support of a cross-functional team. Candidates should be eager to get involved in the full content process, from ideation to editing, pitching in wherever the need is greatest while also carving out areas of personal ownership over time. Flexibility is important, as it is likely that the role’s responsibilities will change from week to week depending on current departmental focus areas.
We are people first, employees second at Ookla, and we know there is no one perfect path to any job. If you’re excited about the work we’re doing and think you have a creative new approach, please apply whether or not your experience matches the job description. We strongly believe diversity of all kinds makes us better. We are an equal opportunity employer actively working to build an inclusive workforce at all levels of the company. [Read our latest diversity report here].
- Conceptualize and write multiple well-researched, data-driven content pieces for Ookla Insights, Knowledge Base and more per week
- Write website copy, FAQs, marketing collateral materials, and other forms of content as needed
- Peer edit and proofread articles prior to publication
- Work within a CMS (Ghost) to upload and tweak articles until they’re perfect
- Work with data and design teams to find the story within a dataset and the most compelling way to illustrate that story
- Collaborate with data, sales, product, and design teams to manage stakeholder expectations throughout all stages of the editorial process, maintaining close communication with internal sponsors for projects as they develop
- Work closely with outside agencies to manage the translation of content for localization
- Monitor engagement stats and use that data to suggest improvements to our process and our content
- Become an expert in Ookla’s products, datasets and core audiences so as to be able to write to them as effectively as possible
- Opportunity to work on longer term creative projects in addition to ongoing editorial responsibilities
The heading says “requirements” but we’re looking for the right person not the exact list. If your life experience prepares you for similar challenges, we’d like to hear from you.
- 2-3 years in a role with significant copywriting responsibilities
- Excellent English-language business writing and editing expertise
- Comfortable working with data in both visual and written forms
- Able to clearly and effectively communicate with both enterprise and consumer audiences via writing
- Aptitude for SEO copywriting
- Facility with writing and editing in Google Docs
- Ability to work closely with colleagues and foster a positive, inclusive work environment
- Energized by a fast-paced environment where project priorities and key messages change frequently
- The humility to take edits well and the audacity to know when to push back
- Strong preference will be given to candidates with some prior experience working in technical or data focused industries, enterprise marketing or an equivalent environment.
- Experience with Ghost and Google Analytics
- Appreciation for writing for localization
- Degree in communications, journalism, social sciences or writing
- Light to intermediate HTML skills (enough to bold a line, hard code a link or tweak a table)
- Experience in the internet or telecommunications industry not required, but a plus
People come first at Ookla. We offer top-of-market compensation, flexible schedules, transit passes, on- and off-site happy hours, team activities, lunch on Wednesdays and an office kitchen full of snacks. Our comprehensive benefits package includes 401(k) matching, unlimited paid vacation and sick time, ESPP options, health/dental insurance coverage and a stand-out parental leave. We make sure you have the best hardware, software and tools available for you to do your work, and we provide excellent flexibility for working remotely as time and responsibilities allow. Visit [our Built In Seattle page] for even more information.