At PitchBook we work to provide global professionals with comprehensive data on the entire venture capital, private equity and M&A landscape so they can discover and execute opportunities with confidence. We credit our success and rapid growth to our cutting-edge products, customer centered attitude and ability to embrace and drive change.
In just over a decade, PitchBook has reached over 1,300 global employees with offices worldwide, and we're not slowing down! Consistently recognized as a Best Place to Work, our culture is at the heart of our success and is driven by excellence, inclusion, and fun. At PitchBook we're committed to fostering an open and collaborative work environment.
About the Role:
PitchBook News seeks an accomplished and collaborative editor to help lead a growing, ambitious group of reporters covering venture capital and the tech ecosystem. The senior news editor will be a versatile newsroom manager of writers, providing guidance and wide-ranging support to colleagues teamwide. This team member plays a crucial role prioritizing assignments, shaping and refining story ideas, identifying newsworthy subjects and assigning coverage of them, along with line-editing articles and writing newsletter content. The ideal candidate is a collegial player-manager with a passion and track record for producing high-quality, insightful stories.
PitchBook News is a growing team of writers and editors who produce compelling journalism with original insights. We shine a light on fascinating people, companies and market trends, leveraging our best-in-class datasets to engage our audience. As a team, we pride ourselves on being endlessly curious and building a collaborative, reader-focused culture driven toward excellence.
**Cover Letters are strongly preferred when applying to this position**
*Location of this position can be in our San Francisco OR Seattle offices*
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Help set daily and longer-term news agendas through close collaboration with reporters, designers, and other editors
- Manage a team of writers, set goals and oversee execution
- Monitor and evaluate news developments for possible quick-turn coverage and for deeper, longer term opportunities
- Edit stories to ensure they deliver on expectations and meet deadlines, and adhere to PitchBook news standards
- Contribute to writing, news graphics and other production needs of PitchBook's newsletters
- Work with broader PitchBook editorial and research colleagues to drive new projects or news innovations that advance objectives of the news team
- Support the vision and values of the company through role modeling and encouraging desired behaviors
- Participate in various company initiatives and projects as requested
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required
- 5 years of experience in financial journalism or comparable analytical writing, preferably with a track record of reporting and editing
- Strong communication skills
- Must be a collegial, collaborative team player who can motivate and mentor writers
- Ability to help writers digest and translate complex financial and tech subject matter with an engaging, effective and authoritative voice
- Skill in interpreting data sets to create graphics or data visuals that help drive a story or impart insights
- Strong command of writing and editing for a diverse audience of professionals
- Curiosity about a wide range of topics, companies, investing trends and industry issues of interest to deal-makers and other stakeholders in the private markets
- Proven background in juggling multiple projects amid various deadlines
- Management experience is highly desirable
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Proficiency with the MS Office suite including in-depth knowledge of Outlook, Word, and Excel with the ability to pick up new systems and software easily