Sr. Technical Writer
Come join Avalara to build educational content for a new industry. We’re taking cloud automation to a new level with the goal of being a part of every transaction in the world. We know that giving customers the information they need is critical to our success. As a Senior Technical Writer in the Customer Learning organization, you will help in our automation journey by creating global learning experiences that enable any user in the world to learn about our products and services.
You will create in-product and online content for our customers through automation and tooling that delivers information in the product experience as well as Avalara Help Center,Developer.Avalara.com and Avalara University. In order to make this happen you will:
- Partner deeply within the organization to automate taxation information from multiple sources so that it is consumable by external audiences.
- Apply documentation design standards to produce high-quality learning material for various products and services.
- Re-imagine the release notes process with automation and a collaborative authoring model.
- Create and update developer-facing API and other technical documentation.
- Write or edit code samples to support documentation.
- 3-5 years’ experience designing and delivering technical documentation for external audiences using web technologies and CMS platforms
- 3 years working in an agile and collaborative environment with software development teams
- 3 years’ experience with cloud computing and web service infrastructures
- 2 years’ experience working in a distributed version-control system such as GitHub or GitLab
- A degree in English, Technical Writing, Computer Science or a related field
- Experience building automated tooling for documentation systems
- Understanding of international content strategies and localization workflows
- Experience in a developer relations role educating the community on complex technical concepts
- Experience with XML Documentation for Adobe Experience Manager
- Experience with industry learning platforms such as LinkedIn Learning, Lynda.com, Pluralsight, Udacity, Udemy, and Coursera
Be prepared to demonstrate the following skills in your portfolio or interviews
- Excellent writing, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent understanding of the content lifecycle, inclusive of editorial, art/design, and localization
- Ability to write and publish content under deadline pressure
- Ability to develop strategies to succeed in rapidly changing environments
- Experience working with remote teams is a definite plus
- Customer obsession and learning mindset
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.