Data Engineer, Business Intelligence
At PitchBook we work to provide global professionals with comprehensive data on the entire venture capital, private equity and M&A landscape so they can discover and execute opportunities with confidence. We credit our success and rapid growth to our cutting-edge products, customer centered attitude and ability to embrace and drive change.
In just over a decade, PitchBook has reached over 1,000 global employees with offices worldwide, and we're not slowing down! Consistently recognized as a Best Place to Work, our culture is at the heart of our success and is driven by excellence, inclusion and fun. At PitchBook we're committed to fostering an open and collaborative work environment.
About the Role:
PitchBook's mission is to deliver value to customers through our industry leading platform of private and public equity marketplace data. Our customers rely on this data, peerless in its quality, comprehensiveness and insight, every day to make critical decisions about their business interests across the equity markets.
The PitchBook Business Intelligence team embraces this data driven ethos by delivering key analytics and insights internally to every facet of our business. Our work is manifested as tools and data to help the enterprise grow and run more efficiently, at both strategic and tactical levels. Simply put, we believe that the data we build, across many sources, is our competitive advantage for making the most of our resources while we bring the most compelling product possible to market.
To that end, as our scope of data integration and analysis expands, so do the needs of the BI team. We're looking for a person with the ability to work with a range of data and reporting technologies (eg Python, R, Tableau, Power BI) in order built upon a strong foundation of rigor, quantitative techniques and efficient processing. The Data Engineer will join other Engineers and Analytics professionals as part of the team that develops data pipelines and insights for our internal stakeholders across Sales, Customer Success, Marketing, Research, Product, Finance, and Administration.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- You'll be PitchBook's expert at building unified data tech to support advanced and automated business analytics.
- Design, develop, document and maintain database and reporting structures used to compile insights.
- Define, develop and review ETL processes and data modeling solutions.
- Consistently evolve data processes and techniques in accordance with industry best practices.
- Establish and help define reports and dashboards used to translate business data into insights, identify and prioritize operational improvement opportunities, and measure business performance against objectives.
- Contribute to ongoing improvement of quality assurance standards and procedures.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Economics, Business, Finance, Engineering, Statistics, Computer Science or related fields
- 2 years of relevant experience working experience as a business analyst, business intelligence engineer, or equivalent
- Understanding of advanced data warehousing concepts and track record of applying these concepts on the job
- Advanced SQL skills, with experience querying large datasets from multiple sources and developing automated reporting
- R and/or Python skills for scripting, data manipulation, custom ETLs, statistical/regression analysis particularly as they apply to sales and marketing operations and performance.
- Experience with BI software programs, such as Tableau or Microsoft Power BI
- Excellent Microsoft Office/PC skills, Advanced Excel experience analyzing data and creating daily/weekly/monthly reports.
- Ability to display complex quantitative data in a simple, intuitive format and to present findings in a clear and concise manner
- Capable of investigating, familiarizing and mastering new data sets quickly
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate complex data issues correctly and clearly to both internal and external customers.
- Experience with open source data pipeline frameworks such as: Airflow, Luigi, etc.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services and/or Microsoft Azure
- Experience with Snowflake development and cloud data warehousing
- Experience with a version control system such as Git
- Experience with presenting actionable insights to business stakeholders
If you are ready to start the conversation about how you might contribute to all the happenings at PitchBook, submit your resume today! PitchBook appreciates and respects diversity, and as such, we are an equal opportunity employer.