Data Engineer, Business Intelligence
In just a little over a decade, PitchBook has grown into a global organization with offices in Seattle, San Francisco, New York and London. With consistent high double-digit growth since 2009, the company has become the industry’s leading source of private market data, serving more than 3,000 clients around the world.
As a four-time winner of the Best Workplaces in Washington award, PitchBook is committed to fostering an open, collaborative work environment driven by excellence, inclusion and fun. Our culture is at the heart of our success, and it’s something we work on every day.
Our primary home for the last decade, PitchBook’s Seattle office has grown from humble beginnings in a 200-square-foot windowless room to our current three-floor home in a downtown skyscraper. Located just blocks away from Pike Place Market and historic Pioneer Square, our headquarters boast stunning mountain views, open collaboration spaces and a startup culture that emphasizes hard work and camaraderie. Working in our Seattle office means growing your career alongside smart, dedicated people in the city where it all began.
The PitchBook Business Intelligence team embraces this data driven ethos by delivering key analytics and insights internally to every facet of our business. Our work is manifested as tools and data to help the enterprise grow and run more efficiently, at both strategic and tactical levels. Simply put, we believe that the data we build, across many sources, is our competitive advantage for making the most of our resources while we bring the most compelling product possible to market.
To that end, as our scope of data integration and analysis expands, so do the needs of the BI team. We’re looking for a person with the ability to work with a range of data and reporting technologies (eg Python, R, Tableau, Power BI) in order to build upon a strong foundation of rigor, quantitative techniques and efficient processing. The Data Engineer will join other Engineers and Analytics professionals as part of the team that develops data pipelines and insights for our internal stakeholders across Sales, Customer Success, Marketing, Research, Product, Finance, and Administration.
- You’ll be PitchBook’s expert at building unified data tech to support advanced and automated business analytics.
- Design, develop, document and maintain database and reporting structures used to compile insights.
- Define, develop and review ETL processes and data modeling solutions.
- Consistently evolve data processes and techniques in accordance with industry best practices.
- Establish and help define reports and dashboards used to translate business data into insights, identify and prioritize operational improvement opportunities, and measure business performance against objectives.
- Contribute to ongoing improvement of quality assurance standards and procedures.
- Bachelor's degree in Economics, Business, Finance, Engineering, Statistics, Computer Science or related fields, or related work experience
- 2 years of relevant experience working experience as a business analyst, business intelligence engineer, or equivalent
- Understanding of advanced data warehousing concepts and track record of applying these concepts on the job
- Advanced SQL skills, with experience querying large datasets from multiple sources and developing automated reporting
- R and/or Python skills for scripting, data manipulation, custom ETLs, statistical/regression analysis particularly as they apply to sales and marketing operations and performance
- Experience with BI software programs, such as Tableau or Microsoft Power BI
- Excellent Microsoft Office/PC skills, Advanced Excel experience analyzing data and creating daily/weekly/monthly reports
- Ability to display complex quantitative data in a simple, intuitive format and to present findings in a clear and concise manner
- Capable of investigating, familiarizing and mastering new data sets quickly
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate complex data issues correctly and clearly to both internal and external customers
- Experience with Google Analytics/Omniture, SalesForce, Marketo APIs
- Experience with Amazon Web Service and/or Microsoft Azure
- Experience with multi-touch attribution
- Experience with presenting actionable insights to business stakeholder
At PitchBook, we work tirelessly to arm professionals within the global VC, PE and M&A industries with the finest data, technology and service so they can make the most informed business decisions efficiently. This is accomplished through our award-winning product, the PitchBook Platform, along with a powerful suite of integrated tools to meet the diverse data-driven needs of our clients. It’s a very collaborative, client-focused environment with a culture that is driven toward excellence and getting things done.
If you are ready to start the conversation about how you might contribute to all the happenings at PitchBook, submit your resume today! PitchBook appreciates and respects diversity, and as such, we are an equal opportunity employer.