Data Science Manager - Natural Language Processing
About The Team
Data is at the core of Outreach's strategy. It drives our customers and ourselves to the highest levels of success. We use it for everything from customer health scores and revenue dashboards, to operational metrics of our AWS infrastructure, to helping increase product engagement and user productivity through automated natural language understanding, to predictive analytics and causal inference via experimentation. As our customer base continues to grow, we are looking towards new ways of leveraging our data to save our customers time and improve their sales efficiency.
Key goal of the Data Science team is to transform how sales reps operate by enabling personalized guided selling. This requires a deep understanding of customer communication - emails threads and call/meetings transcripts, to extract useful information, determine the situation the deal is in and recommend next steps. As a manager of the NLP Data Science team, you will be on the ground floor, working directly with the VP of Data Science to define and implement our strategy for delivering on this vision. You will be responsible for delivering models, data-driven functionality, and end-user features based on these models that will be deployed into production, as well as analyzing the data to produce actionable insights and inform next steps. You will help grow the NLP team, own the outcomes of projects and initiatives, mentor and enable team members to be successful, collaborate with other teams including Data Science, Engineering, Product and Marketing.
Our Vision of You
- You have 3+ years experience in Data Science
- You have 3+ years of people management experience
- You have a solid background in statistical learning techniques for NLP (Deep Learning, HMMs, CRFs, SVMs, LDA, LSI, MRFs, etc), and experience applying these techniques to solve real problems in one of the modern distributed ML and deep learning frameworks (TensorFlow, PyTorch, MxNet, etc.)
- You have experience working with distributed data processing frameworks such as Spark.
- You have strong programming skills in Python and are familiar with at least one other object oriented programming language (C++, Java, Scala, etc.)
- You understand the entire lifecycle of machine learning product development, from inception to production
- You are hands on, able to quickly pick up new tools and languages, and excited about building things and experimenting
- You are experienced at mentoring team members to help them learn and grow both technically and personally. You go above and beyond to make your team successful
- You are honest, admit mistakes, and own fixing them
- You are a motivated and talented craftsperson: always looking to sharpen and adapt your skills
- You have an MS in Computer Science, Statistics, or a related quantitative field, or equivalent industry experience. PhD degree and a track record of publications at conferences such as NAACL, ACL, CoNLL, ICML, ICLR, IJCAI, SIGIR, EMNLP, KDD, WWW, NeurIPS, AAAI, CoLING are preferred.
Why You’ll Love It Here
• 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees
• Flexible time off
• 401k to help you save for the future
• Company-organized and personal paid volunteer days to support the community that supports us
• Fun company and team outings because we play just as hard as we work
• Diversity and inclusion programs that promote employee resource groups like OWN (Outreach Women's Network)
• A parental leave program that includes not just extended time off but options for a paid night nurse, food delivery, gradual return to work, and the Gottman Institute's Bringing Home Baby course for new parents
• Employee referral bonuses to encourage the addition of great new people to the team
• Plus, unlimited snacks and beverages in our kitchen
Read Full Job Description