Data Visualization Engineer - Shipper Insights
Who we are:
Convoy, one of the fastest growing startups in the U.S., is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. We offer the world's largest companies the best option for moving their freight through our network of thousands of technology-connected trucking companies.
The Data Science team is at the core of Convoy’s business. We build the models that power freight pricing, shipment offer relevance, auction bidding strategy, and other core services. The breadth of the problems space is huge, spanning machine learning, optimization, metric definition, econometrics, and prediction domains. And we have only begun to dig into the difficult and diverse problems in our two-sided marketplace.
Convoy is looking for an extraordinary Data Visualization Engineer. The mission is to deliver intelligence through crafting visual exploratory data analysis tools for Convoy’s datasets. You get excited about creating the perfect visualization to disseminate information to clients. You are passionate and excited about getting in on the ground floor of developing a big idea and bringing it from concept to final product and demonstrating a strong sense of ownership. You love the solving the problem of deploying impactful visuals more than you are attached to any one particular solution in order to achieve that goal.
- An undergraduate or Master's degree in a quantitative field (e.g. science, engineering, economics, quantitative finance, operations research, statistics, or similar) or demonstrable experience within data science and analytics.
- Strong visualization skills in a variety of environments such as D3.JS, Plotly, Tableau, Django, Flask, Chart.js, etc.
- Experience writing and deploying Python, Node, or Java code.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges and implement data solutions which scale to meet future needs.
- Experience with architecting and evolving dimensional data models & schema designs to structure data for business-relevant analytics.
- Experience working in very large data warehouse environments.
- Strong written, verbal, and visual communication skills to concisely communicate in a way that provides context, offers insights, and minimizes misinterpretation.
- The skills to work cross-functionally and push business partners to focus on realistic goals and projects.
About The Role:
- You will design and develop data visualizations that help us extract key insights from our data, which might otherwise go unnoticed.
- Create compelling, clear, and powerful visualizations of our data.
- Dive into Convoy’s internal and third party data (think SQL, Python, R, Tableau) to develop solutions that will help move the business forward and enable better decisions to be made in less time.
- Figure out what's important to the business, to specific partners, and intuit core needs from people before they even realize they need it.
- Develop a common language and approach to analyzing and communicating information and insights across analytics teams
Benefits of working at Convoy:
- Health & Wellness: Taking care of your health comes first. Convoy covers 100% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums, and 85% for your family. We also provide access to the gym and showers in our building.
- In-Office Happiness: Enjoy catered meals multiple times through the week, and fully stocked fridges and pantries to keep you running full.
- Commuter Benefits: We transport the world; the least we can do is help get you to work. Every employee receives a fully paid Orca Card to get you around on the bus, light rail, or water taxi. We also provide locked bike storage if you prefer to pedal in.
- Time Off: Life outside of work matters! Convoy has a flexible vacation policy, so take the time off you need- we don’t track vacation or sick time. We also offer generous parental leave for those expecting new additions to their family.
- Compensation: We offer market competitive compensation, including stock options and a 401k plan to help save for retirement.
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!
Read Full Job Description