Head of Analytics, Operations at Convoy
Sorry, this job was removed at 3:05 a.m. (PST) on Wednesday, December 23, 2020
Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward!
Economists, analysts, and data scientists are at the core of Convoy’s platform. We forecast business metrics, evaluate the causal impact of business actions, design experiments to optimize our services, and leverage our data to generate insights for our customers. As we scale our data teams, we need experienced managers and technical leaders to mentor and develop our talent.
Convoy’s Operations organization is looking for an experienced Head of Analytics to build our data science team from the ground up. This role sits at the intersection of data science and operations, steering a team that leverages data insights to maximize the impact of our operations teams by defining key metrics, reporting on KPIs, developing optimal staffing models, and improving process through causal inference. As the manager of data science for one of the most important parts of the company, you’ll significantly influence our roadmap to deliver world class service to our customers as efficiently as possible.
You are a strong technical head, passionate about optimizing operations and improving the experience of Convoy’s carriers, shippers, and operations teams. You are an experienced manager, a thought leader with a vision for how to leverage data science to optimize every aspect of a business, and a collaborative partner excited about working cross-functionally to drive rapid change. You thrive in an ambiguous, fast-paced, and dynamic environment, and are excited to help Convoy deliver best-in-class service as efficiently as possible. If you want to think big about optimizing operations, are passionate about data, and want to see a tangible impact of your work, this is the role for you!
- Partner with Operations managers to help them understand their key drivers
- Develop and deploy metrics to drive results quickly
- A/B test operational processes Be a key voice and advocate for data-guided action making
- Recruit, retain, develop, and motivate our talent
- Build a diverse and empowered analytics culture
- Create and maintain systems to elevate best practices and demonstrate results in your own contributions
We’re looking for someone who has:
- BS or Advanced Degree in Operations Research, Statistics, Computer Science or other quantitative subject
- 5+ years of experience leveraging quantitative analysis, analytics, and data science to solve business problems, preferably within a large operations, customer service, or sales organization
- 2+ years of experience managing data scientists/analysts
- Experience with scientific/statistical languages such as R or Python
- Experience in Data Visualization with Tableau or similar software
- Experience working directly with business teams to drive results; bonus for experience in Operations or Customer Support.
- Intelligent but practical; you want to get things done and love simplicity
- Excellent presenter, influencer, and writer
- You are a leader and will speak up where needed
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!