Machine Learning Engineer, Customer Trust
At Remitly, we help immigrant communities around the world send over $6 billion a year to their loved ones. Sending money is faster, easier, and costs less with our all-digital money transfer platform. Our vision is to transform the lives of immigrants and their families by providing the most trusted financial service products on the planet. At Remitly, your work has a direct and positive impact on people around the globe. Your work matters, every day.
We are looking for an exceptional Machine Learning Engineer for our Customer Verification team to make a difference in the organization by applying your machine learning expertise to our continuously evolving data sources. The Customer Verification Team at Remitly is responsible for making sure we understand and validate any information our customers provide to help deliver a clear and simple product experience. This includes leveraging machine learning to segment customers from bad actors to provide the best experience to customers and stop bad actors at the earliest signal.
- Work directly with engineers and product managers. You'll be part of a small team of software engineers and analysts that can roll out new functionality in a matter of weeks, not months. If you can identify high impact product changes, we'll get them launched. On this team, you won't be a data jockey running simple queries and wondering if anyone looked at your recommendations.
- Be a subject matter expert in a business-critical topic for the company. You will ask questions, dive deep, and understand fraud and product concepts better than anyone else at the company. We will trust you and rely on your judgment to inform decisions that impact our product and customers both immediately and for years to come.
- Grow with the company. The scope and scale of analyses you do today will change as the company grows. You will be challenged to understand a business that is always changing and you will have opportunities to learn new quantitative approaches or toolsets to keep up with that change.
- Energetic. You continually exhibit high energy and an ability to stay positive under pressure. We should be a self-starter, able to work independently, as well as work in a team-oriented and fast paced environment.
- A truth seeker. You ask why, and you question every assumption. If you've ever said "oh, I just did it that way because [Important Person] said so," you won't do well here. We need you to probe assumptions, question the status quo, and follow up on unexpected data results.
- Confident in your data. You can explain the method to your analysis and independently validate your results. Once the data supports your ideas, you're willing to advocate your recommendations to any stakeholder that needs to buy-in (fortunately for you, we're happy to rally behind your great idea).
Successful candidates should have:
- An MS in Computer Science, Applied Math or related Engineering fields
- 5+ years of work experience building production ready systems, with at least 2+ years applying statistics, exploratory data analysis and machine learning that resulted in data-driven business impact.
- Solid knowledge of both the theory and application of ML algorithms.
- Proficiency with systems design and data processing. Candidates should have hands on experience with Python and ML libraries (e.g., scikit-learn, scipy, numpy, matplotlib, pandas etc), SQL, Scala, Spark, Hadoop.
- Strong knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Ability to present complex concepts in a clear narrative that influences stakeholders to take action.
- You are curious, love to continuously improve and exhibit the aptitude to learn quickly.
- You love making a difference.