Manager, Research Science at Convoy
Sorry, this job was removed at 12:33 p.m. (PST) on Friday, May 24, 2019
Who we are:
Convoy, one of the fastest growing startups in the U.S., is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Convoy offers the world's largest companies the best option for moving their freight through its network of thousands of technology-connected trucking companies. Shippers get instant quotes, real-time GPS tracking on all shipments, and actionable business analytics to improve their supply chain. Trucking companies get access to free tools and resources that allow them to find loads they want, fully utilize their trucks, and get paid quickly. Convoy is growing rapidly and hiring in every area. Come join a company that is literally moving the world forward!
Founded in 2015, Convoy is backed by this century's leading disruptors, including the founders and CEOs of Amazon, Salesforce, eBay, Linkedin, Expedia, Dropbox, KKR, Starbucks, and others.
Who we’re looking for:
Economists and Data Scientists are at the core of Convoy’s platform. We build the models that power freight pricing, shipment offer relevance, auction bidding strategy, and other core services. We also forecast business metrics, evaluate the causal impact of business decisions, design experiments to optimize our product, and leverage our data to generate insights for our customers. The breadth of the problems space is huge, spanning machine learning, optimization, causal inference, experimental design, econometrics, and prediction domains. We have only begun to dig into the difficult and diverse problems in our two-sided marketplace.
As we scale our data science/economics teams, we need experienced managers and technical leaders to mentor and develop our talented scientists. We also need thought leaders with a vision for leveraging data science to optimize every aspect of our business. We are looking for player-coaches who can transition effortlessly between owning their projects end-to-end and developing and growing their team.
Are you excited about working autonomously and being responsible for your domain end-to-end? At Convoy, we are a highly aligned team that operates in a dynamic environment and pivots where needed to focus on what matters most. You will work with high signal-to-noise data to power your deep dive research, modeling, and experimentation projects. If you are curious minded and are passionate about joining a company that is integrating economic insights and data science into the core of its business, while leveraging technology to drive efficiencies in a critical sector of the economy, let’s talk.
In this role, you will do the following:
- Experimental Design
- Reduced Form Causal Inference
- Auction Design and Optimization
- Forecasting/Time Series
- Recommendation Systems
- Marketplace Dynamics
- Operations Research/Optimization
You have the following skills & experience:
- PhD in Statistics, Computer Science, Economics, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research, a natural science, or equivalent quantitative subject
- 5+ years of experience doing statistical modeling, quantitative analysis, or machine learning to solve business problems
- 2+ years of experience managing and developing data scientists/economists in a dynamic business environment
- Extensive experience with scientific/statistical languages such as R or Python
- SQL fluency
- Intelligent but practical; you want to get things done and love simplicity
- Excellent presenter and writer
- You are a leader and will speak up where needed
- You have a habit of bias-to-action
Bonus skills/ experience:
- 5+ years of experience managing data scientists/economists in a dynamic business environment
- Experience with two-sided markets (platforms) and other economic theory
- Experience with human computation and human-in-the-loop ML frameworks
- Experience in bidding and pricing (e.g., quant experience)
- Experience designing and deploying machine learning solutions for a production environment
- Big data tools such as Spark, and/or Hadoop
- Strong research and publication record
Benefits of working at Convoy:
- Health & Wellness: Taking care of your health comes first. Convoy covers 100% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums, and 85% for your family. We also provide access to the gym and showers in our building.
- In-Office Happiness: Enjoy catered meals multiple times through the week, and fully stocked fridges and pantries to keep you running full.
- Commuter Benefits: We transport the world; the least we can do is help get you to work. Every employee receives a fully paid Orca Card to get you around on the bus, light rail, or water taxi. We also provide locked bike storage if you prefer to pedal in.
- Time Off: Life outside of work matters! Convoy has a flexible vacation policy, so take the time off you need- we don’t track vacation or sick time. We also offer generous parental leave for those expecting new additions to their family.
- Compensation: We offer market competitive compensation, including stock options and a 401k plan to help save for retirement.
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!