Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
We are looking for an experienced Research Scientist to join the Shipment Success team. Shipment Success owns the execution of the load, from scheduling pickup and drop-off appointments to handling the backend financial transactions after load completion. Being so closely tied to execution, your work would directly impact both customer satisfaction and Convoy’s cost of doing business. At Convoy you will be expected to work self-sufficiently while influencing and collaborating with your teammates. You will closely collaborate with fellow members of the Data Science team, Engineers, and Product Managers across the Product and Engineering and Operations organizations. You will be responsible for designing and developing new statistical models, evaluating process and product innovations, and influencing the team’s roadmap.
- Predict time durations related to load execution (e.g. driving time between two points)
- Develop and improve machine learning and/or reinforcement learning models
- Deep Learning model development and deployment
- Head up research initiatives for optimizing work queues and automatically replying to our customers
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Minimum of 7 years of experience doing predictive modeling and machine learning in a production setting
- MS or PhD in Operations Research, Applied Math, Computer Science, Engineering, or related quantitative subject
- Strong technical programming ability with an emphasis on Python
- Experience working with ML models in production environments
- Experience with deep learning toolkits and frameworks
- Experience with SQL and/or Big Data Tools
- Experience with experimentation such as A/B testing
- Intelligent but practical; you want to get things done and love simplicity
- Joy for teaching fellow analysts
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You are comfortable interacting with technical and non-technical audiences
Employees' wellbeing is top of mind for the Convoy team. Outside of offering excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, we also offer the following:
* On demand mental and emotional health benefits through Lyra
* On demand primary care through 98.6
* Generous paid time off
* Paid parental leave program
* Fertility benefit solutions via Progyny
* Child-care and adult/elder-care options through Bright Horizons
* Opportunity to join and contribute to one of our Employee Resource Groups
* Ability to make a real world impact!
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!