Principal Research Scientist/Economist at Convoy
!Sorry, this job was removed at 11:02 a.m. (PST) on Saturday, June 22, 2019
Who we are:
Convoy, one of the fastest growing startups in the U.S., is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Convoy offers the world's largest companies the best option for moving their freight through its network of thousands of technology-connected trucking companies. Shippers get instant quotes, real-time GPS tracking on all shipments, and actionable business analytics to improve their supply chain. Trucking companies get access to free tools and resources that allow them to find loads they want, drive fuller trucks, and get paid quickly. Convoy is growing quickly and hiring in every area. Come join a company that is literally moving the world forward!
Founded in 2015, Convoy is backed by this century's leading disruptors, including Greylock Partners, Y Combinator, CapitalG and the founders and CEOs of Amazon, Salesforce, eBay, Linkedin, Expedia, Dropbox, KKR, Starbucks, and others.
Who we’re looking for:
Economists and Data Scientists are at the core of Convoy’s platform. We build the models that power freight pricing, shipment offer relevance, auction bidding strategy, and other core services. We also forecast business metrics, evaluate the causal impact of business decisions, design experiments to optimize our product, and leverage our data to generate insights for our customers. The breadth of the problems space is huge, spanning machine learning, optimization, causal inference, experimental design, econometrics, and prediction domains. We have only begun to dig into the difficult and diverse problems in our two-sided marketplace. As the data science team approaches 50 members we are looking to grow our leadership ranks.
Are you excited about working autonomously and being responsible for your domain end-to-end? At Convoy, we are a highly aligned team that operates in a dynamic environment and pivots where needed to focus on what matters most. You will work with high signal-to-noise data to power your deep dive research, modeling, and experimentation projects. If you are curious minded and are passionate about joining a company that is making economic analysis and data science a fundamental part of our success, while leveraging technology to drive efficiencies in a critical sector of the economy, let’s talk.
You will do the following:
- Machine learning (Prediction/Classification)
- Experimental Design
- Reduced Form Causal Inference
- Forecasting/Time Series
- Auction Design
About your skills & experience:
- PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Economics, Applied Math, Electrical Engineering, or other highly quantitative field, or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of post-PhD experience
- Minimum of 3+ years of experience in a dynamic business environment
- Strong R and/or Python programming skills
- Proficiency in model development, model validation and model implementation in a production environment
- Proven track record of leading, mentoring, and growing teams of scientists
- Intelligent but practical; you want to get things done and love simplicity
- Excellent presenter and writer
- You are a leader and will speak up where needed
- You have a habit of bias-to-action
- Extensive background in applying economic analysis or machine learning to solving business problems in tech companies
- Strong research and publication track record
Benefits of working at Convoy:
- Health & Wellness: Taking care of your health comes first. Convoy covers 100% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums, and 85% for your family. We also provide access to the gym and showers in our building.
- In-Office Happiness: Enjoy catered meals multiple times through the week, and fully stocked fridges and pantries to keep you running full.
- Commuter Benefits: We transport the world; the least we can do is help get you to work. Every employee receives a fully paid Orca Card to get you around on the bus, light rail, or water taxi. We also provide locked bike storage if you prefer to pedal in.
- Time Off: Life outside of work matters! Convoy has a flexible vacation policy, so take the time off you need- we don’t track vacation or sick time. We also offer generous parental leave for those expecting new additions to their family.
- Compensation: We offer market competitive compensation, including stock options and a 401k plan to help save for retirement.
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!
Read Full Job Description