In just a little over a decade, PitchBook has grown into a global organization with offices in Seattle, San Francisco, New York and London. With consistent high double-digit growth since 2009, the company has become the industry’s leading source of private market data, serving more than 3,000 clients around the world.
As a three-time winner of the Best Workplaces in Washington award, PitchBook is committed to fostering an open, collaborative work environment driven by excellence, inclusion and fun. Our culture is at the heart of our success, and it’s something we work on every day.
The Research team is one of the largest teams at PitchBook, totaling over three hundred people across three continents. We are responsible for the core of what we do as a company: delivering high quality data on the private markets to thousands of discerning customers. This is done through our various data collection processes consisting of web-based data scraping, entering of data from publicly available documents, web researching of hard-to-find information, and direct communication with executives/investors/advisors involved in transactions and fundraising. We also like to have fun and believe strongly in some of our traditions such as baked good Mondays, potluck breakfast Fridays and our Panther mascot.
We are looking for Secondary Research Associates to help our teams collect data on the private capital markets, improve data collection operations and provide quality checks of existing data. Please note this role is more closely aligned to a product operational role than academic or marketing research.
About our Research Associate program:
Nearly everyone in Research starts as a Research Associate. In this role, you will join one of our dataset teams with an initial focus on mastering our proprietary data entry tool and research process. Once mastered, you will take on various tasks, helping your team ensure its dataset meets high quality standards while continually increasing the efficiency, productivity and quality. The focus of the role will be on secondary research, which is the collection of data publicly available from websites, news sources, and other sources.
This development approach creates a pathway for our Research Associates to grow into Senior Research Associates, Team Leads and Research Managers within a specific dataset team in the Research department, or transition to a variety of roles on other teams at PitchBook.
- Ramping up to become an expert in one of PitchBook’s core research areas of private equity, venture capital, M&A or Institutional Investors by researching, collecting, and entering data on private companies within a specific dataset into the PitchBook Platform
- Reviewing previously-researched information to provide feedback to other researchers
- Providing training and ramping support to newer members of the team, both on-shore and off-shore
- Collaborating cross-culturally with global teams
- Communicating effectively and efficiently with internal stakeholders in person and through email.
- Identifying root causes of systemic data problems.
- Completing client requests to add new data or update existing data.
- Work with team to develop and improve processes, tools and methodologies.
- Collaborating on projects to identify opportunities to improve upon the core quality metrics (comprehensiveness, accuracy, timeliness)
You may be the right candidate if you have:
- A high attention to detail
- Sense of urgency and ability to focus to update a number of profiles
- Believe anything below excellent isn’t good enough and expect the same from those on your team
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and in written materials for effective inter-office correspondence
- Analytical and process oriented with a dedication to continuous improvement
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite, especially Excel
- Incessant curiosity and innovative thinking
- Interest in leading, training or developing remote teams OR becoming a specialist in a specific domain
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Interest in the private equity, venture capital and M&A industries
- 1 - 2 years of professional work experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
At PitchBook, we provide transparency into the capital markets by organizing the world’s meaningful business information and making it useful to our customers. We work tirelessly to arm global professionals with comprehensive data on the entire venture capital, private equity and M&A landscape—including companies, investors, funds, investments, exits and people—so they can discover and execute opportunities with confidence. Our data and analysis are available through our award-winning flagship product, the PitchBook Platform, as well as our powerful suite of integrated tools, industry news and in-depth reports.
If you are ready to start the conversation about how you might contribute to all the happenings at PitchBook, submit your resume today! PitchBook appreciates and respects diversity, and as such, we are an equal opportunity employer.