Senior Manager, Data Science & Marketplace Analytics
Who we’re looking for:
- Rover seeks an experienced data science manager with a strong background in statistical analysis and modeling who can support their team in a hands-on capacity while working cross-functionally to drive high-value projects. In this role, you will lead a team of data scientists, analysts, and marketplace product managers to build scalable solutions to complex problems. This includes taking responsibility for managing long-running experiments with significant financial implications and impact on how users interact with Rover.com, participate in our marketplace, and find care for their pets.
- We are looking for someone who understands that behind every data point there is a pet and a pet person. When you develop and deploy an algorithm, you are not just producing a score or rule set, you are altering the customer experience and impacting the business in measurable ways. You should be excited to grow a team that tackles a broad array of problems and works in a fast-paced, collaborative startup environment.
Your toolset includes:
- At least one additional programming language / computational programming environment; e.g., R, SAS, Matlab, C++, etc
- Google Analytics or similar user funnel analytics tools
- Periscope, Tableau, Looker, or similar data visualization tools
- Data-informed decision-making with rigorous split testing.
- Experience with integrated teams with developers, designers and analysts working side-by-side.
- B.S in a quantitative discipline required; advanced degree (MS or PhD) preferred
- Strong technical and coding skills
- Deep expertise in statistical modeling and hands-on experience with a broad range of analytics techniques
- Experience in online user testing
- 3+ years management experience
- Experience with online marketplaces is preferred
Why we’ll hire you:
- You have a demonstrated track record of servant leadership. You care deeply about your people, and their careers
- You are familiar with more than just the basics, and have more than cursory experience with at least sub-discipline in the broad field of data science. You know where the sharp edges are, and can lead decisions around what techniques are and are not appropriate to employ for particular classes of problem
- You’re a deeply analytical thinker who is passionate about finding structure in data, and using data to drive real value to the end user (and thus the business).
- You are passionate about our core business. You will instinctively dig into every aspect of what it means to be a pet sitter and a pet owner on the Rover platform.
- You can drive decisions with (imperfect) data and abstractly defined problems
- You are a great partner to engineers and business owners alike
- You can pitch your own ideas and shepherd them through to completion
- You show a pattern of being self-started, self-taught and self-directed
- You favor open communication with willingness to ask and answer questions
- You are output- and outcome-oriented
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You play nicely with others (and dogs)
Benefits or Working at Rover.com:
- Competitive compensation
- 4 weeks paid time off
- Stock options
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting your first dog
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs)
- Free catered lunches twice a month
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more