Senior Research Science Manager, Automated Brokering at Convoy
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:07 a.m. (PST) on Thursday, April 8, 2021
Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
Who we’re looking for:
We are looking for an experienced Research Science Manager to join the Automated Brokering team in Convoy’s Marketplace organization. This team owns Convoy’s core models for matching carriers and freight, including dynamic brokerage and auction mechanisms and optimization. Data scientists on this team are also responsible for designing experiments and leveraging econometric models to characterize marketplace dynamics. This role has the potential to unlock significant value for the company by scaling a team of talented Research and Data Scientists as we double-down on the fundamental algorithms at the heart of our business.
If you are interested in joining a company that is integrating economic insights and data science into the core of its business, while leveraging technology to drive efficiencies in a critical sector of the economy, let’s talk.
We're looking for someone who has:
- PhD in Statistics, Computer Science, Applied Math/Operations Research, Electrical Engineering, Economics, or related quantitative subject
- 5+ years of experience doing statistical modeling, quantitative analysis, or machine learning to solve business problems
- 2+ years of experience managing data scientists/economists
- Experience with scientific/statistical languages such as Python or R.
Nice to have:
- 5+ years of experience managing data scientists in a fast-paced business environment
- Experience with two-sided markets (platforms) and other economic theory
- Experience in bidding and pricing (e.g., quant experience)
- Experience designing machine learning solutions for a production environment
- Big data tools such as Spark, and/or Hadoop
- SQL fluency
- Proven research and publication record
Employees' wellbeing is top of mind for the Convoy team. Outside of offering excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, we also offer the following:
* On demand mental and emotional health benefits through Lyra
* On demand primary care through 98.6
* Generous paid time off
* Paid parental leave program
* Fertility benefit solutions via Progyny
* Child-care and adult/elder-care options through Bright Horizons
* Opportunity to join and contribute to one of our Employee Resource Groups
* Ability to make a real world impact!
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!