Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
We are looking for an experienced Research Scientist/Economist to join the Contract Team in Convoy’s Marketplace organization. This team owns Convoy’s core models and systems for contract price optimization and long-term forecasting, areas of strategic importance to Convoy. This role has the potential to unlock significant value for the company as we double-down on the fundamental models at the heart of our business.
- Applying economic theory to improve efficiency of the contract procurement process in our two-sided marketplace
- The design and implementation of models of market mechanisms, demand estimation, and auctions
- Intersection of economic theory with computational economics and empirical work
- Developing, improving and maintaining cross-discipline predictive and causal models/algorithms beyond forecasting (e.g. ML, Econometrics, Optimization)
We’re looking for someone who has:
- PhD in Statistics, Econometrics, or related field.
- 2+ years of post PHD experience in a dynamic business environment, applied research or government.
- A passion for building robust, interpretable, and actionable models.
- Expertise with Python and/or R.
- Familiarity with the tools of high performance computing and software development.
- Intelligent but practical; you want to get things done and love simplicity.
Nice to haves:
- Experience with causal inference or
- Experience building and applying machine learning models
Employees' wellbeing is top of mind for the Convoy team. Outside of offering excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, we also offer the following:
* On demand mental and emotional health benefits through Lyra
* On demand primary care through 98.6
* Generous paid time off
* Paid parental leave program
* Fertility benefit solutions via Progyny
* Child-care and adult/elder-care options through Bright Horizons
* Opportunity to join and contribute to one of our Employee Resource Groups
* Ability to make a real world impact!
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!