Senior Software Development Engineer - Data Science & ML at Smartsheet
When was the last time you had an opportunity to work at a company that was forging a new industry and enabling people to get from idea to impact—fast! Smartsheet’s purpose is to empower everyone to improve how they work. Our business is built on finding great people and getting out of their way while they build and improve our award-winning Software as a Service (SaaS) offering. With over 10 million users, our platform gets used across disparate industries ranging from construction to retail to software development. This presents us with unique technical challenges.
We are looking for our next Senior Software Development Engineer - Data Science & ML (Senior SDE) to play a lead role in developing machine learning-powered assistive features inside Smartsheet. Our team is building features to accelerate and augment the way Smartsheet users collaborate on work. We are looking for an engineer to play a lead role in analyzing our data, cleaning our data, iterating on models, and working with a dedicated team to operationalize and monitor these models. With thousands of subscribing organizations and millions of users, there are lots of opportunities to make a meaningful impact and drive growth through machine learning within Smartsheet. The ideal candidate has built machine learning-based features at a SaaS company in a high paced environment and has strong software development and data science experience.
This position is based at our headquarters in Bellevue, WA and will report to our Engineering Manager. Our team focuses on distributed decision making that rewards ownership, transparency, and collaboration. Learn more about our platform here: Smartsheet Overview Video
- Participate in the entire development life cycle, from concept to release, in a DevOps and Agile environment.
- Implement new Smartsheet features and improve the ones we have already built using Java and AWS.
- Data mine large datasets and draw actionable insights.
- Define and implement how ML models are measured and versioned.
- Identify areas for further investigation including additional data.
- 8 or more years of experience developing production software for a SaaS company, including at least 3 years in a machine learning or data science environment.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, or another technical field.
- Proficient in implementing various statistical models and data mining tools (predictive modeling, clustering, logistic regression, multivariate regression, decision trees, neural networks).
- Hands-on experience in executing data analysis using tools such as SQL, R, Python, Excel, Tableau, and Google Analytics.
- Hands-on experience in building machine learning models using tools such as SciKit Learn, Tensorflow, PyTorch, MXNet.
- Experience using tooling to operationalize, monitor and version machine learning models such as Kubeflow, Airflow, MLFlow.
- Hands-on experience in building data pipelines using AWS.
- Ability to research and learn new technologies, tools, and platforms.
Nice to Have:
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or equivalent.
- Experience with front-end development using TypeScript, React, and Redux.
- Hands-on experience using Java 8 and above, the Spring framework, and other backend frameworks.
- Knowledge and experience with Differential Privacy
- Experience developing infrastructure with Terraform, Terragrunt, and Helm.
- Ability to draw conclusions from data and recommend actions.
- Ability to thrive in an unstructured environment, working autonomously on a strong team to find opportunities and deliver business impact.
- Drive projects from concept through completion with minimal guidance.
- Focus to make quick strikes, iterate, and produce in high volume.
- The smarts to pick up new concepts at light speed, the agility to quickly adjust priorities and shift direction, and the flexibility to contribute to other projects as required.
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.