As the Sr. Director of Applied Science you will report directly to Axon's SVP of AI and be a critical member of the AI Leadership team. You will be responsible for leading a range of applied science initiatives across Machine Learning, Computer Vision (CV), Natural Language Understanding (NLU), and other domains to harness Axon's vast and growing network of sensors, signals, and data to provide measurably differentiated outcomes for our public safety customers and the communities they serve.
As a machine learning science thought leader and key partner in Axon's product and technology organization, you will identify key strategic opportunities and define, grow, lead, and retain a world-class team of scientists, engineers and researchers. The ideal candidate will have a proven scientific background and a consistent track record of success with hands-on execution and demonstrated ability to manage AI teams. You will actively collaborate with peer engineering and product teams to ship and operate services at scale.
We need someone willing to be fearless and more than willing to take on bold challenges. By accelerating adoption of our technologies, you'll help protect life in public safety for officers and the communities they serve around the world.
- Operate as a thought leader and visionary, with the ability to guide, influence and inspire peak performance, innovation and adoption of AI-enabled technologies across the Axon value chain
- Grow and lead a world-class team of research scientists that deliver novel, strategic AI solutions with diverse, industry-leading skills in deep learning, computer vision, natural language processing and more
- Collaborate with tech and product teams on sourcing data and model building strategies from experimentation and implementation to deployment and continuous improvement
- Bring your industry, research expertise and deep knowledge of the state-of-the-art in your field to challenge existing assumptions and introduce new machine learning algorithms, statistical approachers and training workflows
- Develop a collaborative and inclusive team that fosters a culture of ownership, experimentation, and innovation while joining forces with product teams to deliver working solutions for our Customers
- A Ph.D. Degree in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, Applied Mathematics or an equivalent highly technical field
- 7+ years of modeling experience in one or more the following areas: Natural Language Processing/Understanding (NLP/NLU), Computer Vision (CV) and Acoustic Event Detection
- 4+ years in a leadership/management role; with a solid track record capable of building and leading science teams
- Hands on experience developing, scaling and implementing machine learning using relevant programming languages (such as Python), state of the art deep learning frameworks and big data tools
- Working knowledge of advanced ML techniques: Multi-task Learning, Transfer Learning, Reinforcement Learning as well as Unsupervised and Semi-supervised Learning
- Track record of publications and contributions to the machine learning community at large
- Experience with designing and shipping software products that leverage machine learning at scale
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to dive into learning algorithms, evaluation metrics, model architecture, code, test plans, project plans, deployments and operations
- Comfort communicating and interacting with scientists, engineers and product managers as well as understanding and translating the science of AI and Machine Learning to a more general audience
- 9+ years of modeling experience in the areas of NLP, CV, Sensor Fusion and Acoustic Event Detection
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with distributed machine learning and deploying models at scale in cloud environments (such as AWS, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud)
- Familiarity with IoT/Edge AI and optimizing ML models to run on-device with constrained compute, power and latency budgets
- Previous Experience leading multiple geographically distributed teams
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Robust parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with police officers to see them use our technology and get inspired
- And more...