Staff Data Scientist, Manager at OfferUp
From the very beginning, OfferUp has believed that the right people united by the right mission can redefine the possible.
OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and help more people discover value right where they are.At a Glance
- 85+ Million Downloads
- Geekwire App of Year
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
OfferUp is looking for a Staff Data Scientist Manager to join our team. We seek to delight our users with the safest, simplest and most effective local marketplace app on the planet. Your role as a Data Scientist Manager will be to help OfferUp use the most cutting edge technology to maintain its market lead in customer trust and product enthusiasm. This role reports directly to the Director of Data Science and Engineering.
OfferUp is a startup. Applicants are expected to understand the business and contribute their ideas and drive results.
- Build and manage and lead an industry-leading team that creates models for:
- Image Detection
- Natural Language Processing
- Localized Pricing
- Ad Optimization
- Fraud Detection
- Work closely with product managers, marketing, designers, and engineers to prioritize data projects that maximize business impact.
- Manage agile sprints and communicate progress effectively to stakeholders
- Maintain awareness of diverse data sources from throughout the company and how that data could be used as training data for specific problems.
- 8+ years of demonstrated experience with machine learning or data science
- 4+ years of management experience
- Hands-on experience solving real business problems is required. Ph.D. or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or another STEM-related field is also required.
- Proficiency in Python and SQL
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
Nice to Have:
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum life cycle principles and methodologies
- Track record of being a strong independent contributor
- Domain knowledge in Object Detection, Ads, or Fraud.
- Experience deploying models via a CI/CD pipeline.
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally...Come do work that matters. Join the team and take the ride of your life!
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.