Product Design Manager
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
WHAT YOU WILL BE WORKING ON
The in-car and connected devices experience consists of both hardware devices and software applications that are used together to allow law enforcement and first responders to better serve communities around the world. This is the IoT of public safety. Products include connected in-car camera systems, sensors, body cameras and smart Taser devices as well as in-car software and mobile applications. You will be thinking about both the end-user experience of police officers, the public and first responders as well as how to set up and manage connected devices at scale.
Watch a short video on our long-term vision
We believe that happy teams take good care of their customers, so we foster a friendly, open, introspective team culture that encourages everyone to speak their mind and deliberately avoids red tape, unnecessary rituals, politics, and jerks. We reserve 2 days per week for focused work without meetings and emphasize planning to keep our work-life balance healthy and sustainable.
We believe we can only succeed if we deeply understand our customers and get to know them personally. We spend time with law enforcement officers to learn about their needs, watch their experience and see the real impact of our work. Your first ride-along with a patrol officer will forever change your perception of what the job is, and what the city is like.
- Lead design for our Connected Devices area including our in-car experience, body cameras, smart TASER devices and sensors and in-car and mobile software applications. You'll own the full design process, from initial research and discovery through concepting, detailed design, testing and working with Engineering on implementation.
- Manage and coach a small team of designers working on various aspects of the connected devices space.
- Be an ambassador and champion for the design culture at Axon.
- Turn complex interactions involving a diverse set of users, a complex physical environment, social interactions, regional differences, and an ecosystem of hardware devices and software applications, into simple experience solutions.
- Partner with Product Management on initial product definition.
- Collaborate with researchers and product managers to initiate, execute, and extract insights using a variety of research methods: observational, interviews, participatory, usability testing, competitive analysis, etc.
- Collaborate with other design leads to ensure great user experiences across all of our products.
- Pitch products and feature ideas and execution.
- Participate in field research with domestic and overseas law enforcement agencies and help transform that research into practical, scalable solutions.
- Collaborate across feature and product teams to get to the right solution for our customers.
- Contribute to defining the product design vision and process at Axon.
- Research design trends, customer behavior, competition and current technologies.
- 6+ years of product design experience with at least 2 years of leading major product design initiatives and managing other designers.
- A bachelor's degree in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, HCI or related field. A master's degree is considered a plus.
- A proven track record of applying user-centered design processes and methodology to product definition, design, and development. Successful candidates will have experience with every stage of the design process, including: research, sketches, wireframes, high fidelity mock-ups, prototyping, and usability testing.
- You enjoy collaborating on early product definition as much as you enjoy working with the larger product and engineering teams on implementation.
- Strong conceptual skills and proven ability to rapidly prototype and design to communicate ideas to others.
- A broad skillset with deep specialization in at least one area (IA, UX, visual, etc).
- Experience with designing for multiple form factors including (web, mobile, or on-device and modalities like touch, voice, or desktop).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to clearly explain your ideas and decisions in a way that anyone can understand.
- Highly knowledgeable of modern design tools and proficient at quickly learning new ones. We currently use Sketch + Invision App, but are always evaluating new tools.
- Able to function both independently and in a collaborative team environment. Comfortable in both leader and follower roles.
- A great portfolio available for review.
- Award-winning office and working environment with the newest technology.
- Competitive salary and a comprehensive benefit package.
- Discretionary PTO.
- Fun team activities and outings.
- Flexible working hours.
- Options for training in the US.
- Opportunities to ride along with local law enforcement.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description