Senior Product Designer, Axon Records
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
Officers currently spend 60-65% of their time writing reports, which takes away from valuable time spent serving our community. We are building Axon Records, a brand-new cloud-based web application that will drastically reduce officer's time spent on reports, eliminate tedious paperwork, and ultimately save lives. Over time, Axon Records will evolve into a family of law enforcement tools designed to make our communities safer.
Watch a short video on our long-term vision for RMS.
We believe that happy teams take good care of their customers, so we foster a friendly, open, introspective team culture that encourages everyone to speak their mind and deliberately avoids red tape, unnecessary rituals, politics, and jerks. We reserve 2 days per week for focused work without meetings and emphasize planning to keep our work-life balance healthy and sustainable.
We believe we can only succeed if we deeply understand our customers and get to know them personally. We spend time with law enforcement officers to learn about their needs, watch their experience and see the real impact of our work. Your first ride-along with a patrol officer will forever change your perception of what the job is, and what the city is like.
Your Day to Day
- Lead design for one of Axon Records' key features. You'll own the full design process, from initial research and discovery through concepting, detailed design, testing, and ongoing design support.
- Collaborate with product managers to initiate, execute, and extract insights using a variety of research methods: observational, interviews, participatory, usability testing, competitive analysis, etc.
- Produce artifacts that define and communicate your solutions. It will be up to you, but we generally use a combination of journey maps, architecture diagrams, wireframes, final designs, interaction diagrams, and prototypes.
- Garner support for your solutions up, down, and sideways within the organization to gain buy-in and support.
- Work closely with business and engineering stakeholders.
- Collaborate across feature and product teams to ensure consistent user experiences across all products.
- Provide mentorship to junior designers and interns.
- 6+ years of software design experience and 2+ years leading full products or large features.
- A degree in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, HCI, or equivalent experience and skill.
- A proven track record of applying user-centered design processes and methodology to product definition, design, and development. Successful candidates will have experience with every stage of the design process, including: research, sketches, wireframes, high fidelity mock-ups, prototyping, and usability testing.
- You enjoy collaborating on early product definition as much as you enjoy working with the larger product and engineering teams on implementation.
- Strong conceptual skills and proven ability to rapidly prototype and design to communicate ideas to others.
- A broad skillset with deep specialization in at least one area (research, IA, UX, visual, etc).
- Experience with designing for multiple form factors including (web, mobile, or on-device and modalities like touch, voice, or desktop).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to clearly explain your ideas and decisions in a way that anyone can understand.
- Highly knowledgeable of modern design tools and proficient at quickly learning new ones. We currently use Sketch + Invision App, but are always evaluating new tools.
- Able to function both independently and in a collaborative team environment. Comfortable in both leader and follower roles.
- A great portfolio available for review.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Robust parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with real police officers in real life situations, see them use technology, get inspired
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description