Senior Product Designer II, Real-time Communications
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
We are building a new product that will help first responders at the most critical moment – when they’re responding to a call for service. How do we get first responders the right information, at the right time, and in the right format, so that they can arrive at the scene prepared and ready to act? How can we equip them to coordinate with each other and their partners (fire, medical, other neighboring agencies)? The right solution will utilize intelligent mapping and routing, real-time communications, applications of artificial intelligence, and a heavy focus on making industry-leading experiences usable for both for first responders doing 60 MPH in a 35 zone and for dispatchers handling hundreds of calls a day.
Watch a short video on our long-term vision
We believe that happy teams take good care of their customers, so we foster a friendly, open, introspective team culture that encourages everyone to speak their mind and deliberately avoids red tape, unnecessary rituals, politics, and jerks. We are hypervigilant on productivity, and focused on not having senseless meetings or processes and we emphasize planning to keep our work-life balance healthy and sustainable.
We believe we can only succeed if we deeply understand our customers and get to know them personally. We spend time with law enforcement officers to learn about their needs, watch their experience and see the real impact of our work. Your first ride-along with a patrol officer will forever change your perception of what the job is, and what the city is like.
Your Day to Day
- Lead all user experience & design for a major part of our Dispatch product line with a clear point of view. You'll own the full design process, from initial research and discovery through concepting, detailed design, testing, working with Engineering on implementation, and thinking about future vision and improvements over time.
- Be an ambassador and champion for the design culture at Axon
- Turn complex interactions involving a diverse set of users, a complex physical environment, social interactions, regional differences, and an ecosystem of hardware divides and software applications, into simple experience solutions.
- Collaborate with other design leads to ensure great customer experiences across all of our products
- Pitch products and feature ideas and execution.
- Participate in field research with domestic and overseas law enforcement agencies and help transform that research into practical, scalable solutions
- Collaborate across feature and product teams to get to the right solution for our customers
- Contribute to the defining of the product design vision and process at Axon
- Research design trends, customer behavior, competition and current technologies
- Provide great feedback to other designers and mentorship to junior designers and interns
- A degree in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, HCI, or other related field.
- 4+ years of product design experience and a minimum of 1 year leading major product design initiatives.
- A proven track record of applying user-centered design processes and methodology to product definition, design, and development. You have extensive experience with every stage of the design process, including: sketches, wireframes, high fidelity mock-ups, prototyping, and usability testing.
- You enjoy collaborating on early product definition as much as you enjoy working with the larger product and engineering teams on implementation.
- Experience with designing for multiple form factors including (web, mobile) and modalities (touch, voice, mouse). Experience with designing workflow that include multiple screens and/or form factors is considered a plus.
- Strong conceptual skills and proven ability to rapidly prototype and design to communicate ideas to others.
- A broad skillset with deep specialization in at least one area (IA, interaction design, visual design, etc.).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to clearly explain your ideas and decisions in a way that anyone can understand.
- Highly knowledgeable of the latest design tools and proficient at quickly learning new ones. We currently use Sketch + Invision, but are always evaluating new tools.
- Able to function both independently and in a collaborative team environment.
- A great portfolio available for review.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Robust parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with real police officers in real life situations, see them use technology, get inspired
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description