UI/UX Design Manager at Avalara
Are you excited about managing and leading the Design and User Experience team that delivers a unified experience to Avalara’s online prospects and customers? Do you appreciate the importance of establishing a brilliant user experience as part of an agile development team? You may be the kind of UI/UX Design Manager we’re looking
Avalara is seeking a talented UI/UX Design Manager to join our Marketing Technology Group to help support our web marketing initiatives. We’re looking for someone talented in Visual Web Design and User Experience Design and leading and managing a team of Visual Design - UI/UX designers in Seattle and internationally as Avalara grows. The role will be working closely with the Agile Product Managers, SCRUM Masters,and Avalara’s Brand Director who are responsible for all of Avalara’s marketing websites. The Manageris responsible for supervising and guiding all design staff both FTE’s and contractors who are part of the Design team. Additionally, the UI/UX Design Manager will lead and guide any design and resource engagements with designated web design agencies engaged with Avalara.
● Exceptional design strategy abilities are needed in this role. The Design Manager will guide the design direction for all of Avalara’s public facing web properties.
● Strong leadership and management skills in guiding and leading visual UX designers reporting to the UI/UX Design Manager. Able to coach and guide designers to achieve Avalara design goals. Able to lead design
● Understand the value proposition for the Avalara product(s) and able to build an online story to help sell Avalara’s products
● Work with Product Owner and Stakeholders to elicit visual requirements and detailed workflows for page development and work closely with Product Owner and Stakeholders to design user experiences for
Avalara web properties.
● Experience in designing for the Adobe Experience Manager web content management platform. Able to understand and design for templates and components that comprise the authoring and publishing experience of the AEM platform
● Attend and participate in SCRUM meetings, including daily standup, planning, retrospective, backlog grooming.
● Support the Maintenance/Mods/Defects Owner with web design - UI/UX and design needs of the product backlog.
● Participate in test planning and execution to ensure that expected results will satisfy business and non-functional requirements.
● Collaborate with product management and engineering to define and implement innovative solutions for the product direction, visuals and experience
● Execute all visual design stages from concept to final hand-off to engineering
● Conceptualize original ideas that bring simplicity and user friendliness to complex design roadblocks
● Create wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows and site maps to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas
● Present and defend designs and key milestone deliverables to peers and executive level stakeholders
● Conduct user research and evaluate user feedback
● Establish and promote design guidelines, best practices and standards
● Maintain Jira planning and scrum board.
● Maintain Confluence team documentation.
● Ability to manage and lead multiple designers locally and internationally
● Strong ability to engage with Product Owners, Directors, and Vice Presidents to devise UI/UX solutions that work.
● Solid multi year/multi site portfolio that represents actual work products that they have created.
● Experience as a UI/UX Designer for at least eight years on a web development or web marketing team.
● Proven UI experience with a valid portfolio showing real experience
● Demonstrable UI design skills both verbally and visually
● Able to guide other UI/UX designers as the primary lead. Able to coach and train others
● Able to manage, supervise and direct multiple UI/UX designers both FTE and contract
● Solid experience in creating wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows and site maps
● Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, Axure, or other visual design and wire-framing tools
● Proficiency in WordPress LAMP development platform (for legacy sites waiting to be converted to Adobe Experience Manager)
● Proficiency in Adobe Experience Manager platform (able to design within this platform)
● Experience in the Adobe Marketing suite including Adobe Test & Target, Adobe Analytics and Adobe Search & Promote
● Able to understand content targeting via Adobe Test & Target and capable of designing experiences at a defined user persona level
● Excellent visual design skills with sensitivity to user-system interaction
● Ability to present your designs and sell your solutions to various stakeholders.
● Ability to solve problems creatively and effectively
● Up-to-date with the latest UI trends, techniques, and technologies
● BS/MS in Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, or related
● Experience working in an Agile/SCRUM development process
● Able to solicit, formulate and influence the selection of solution alternatives that meet business objectives.
● Excellent oral and written communication skills. Able to convey business requirements and technical needs in a clear, concise, and effective manner.
● Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with business and technical team members.
● Experience working effectively with remote teams
● Jira / Confluence experience required
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.