Back-End Software Engineer, Email and Calendar Team
The main moving piece of the Outreach product is the system which manages communications with customers by synchronizing user inboxes. That system is owned by the Customer Engagement Actions Team. The team’s goal is to drive efficient revenue generation by enabling Outreach users to make efficient contacts, keep in touch with their customers, and comply with data management and security policies.
The calendar and email team is seeking a back-end engineer to come work with us to build the next generation of cutting-edge communication features.
About the Team
Our system handles more than one million emails and calendar events daily. Nearly everything an Outreach customer does involves our part of the system, and we never want to be in the way of our users reaching their customers - or their goals. We’re charged with designing and delivering interesting features, like automated reply detection, which requires a crisp design approach to answer nebulous and challenging problems.
We work with a disparate set of third-party APIs to implement our system, integrating with email and scheduling systems like Google Mail and Calendar, and Microsoft Office 365. Customers trust us with their privacy and data, and with their customer contacts. New legislation and practices (like GDPR) demand compliance that we take seriously, and they keep our work dynamic.
We're always concerned with making sure the outward interfaces we implement are up and running. But we’re also working to scale them to larger volumes so we can accommodate even bigger customers. Our road-map contains a rich suite of features for our customers focusing on communication flexibility and efficiency.
On the Customer Engagement Actions Team We:
Implement support for features in browser and email client add-ins
Ship code to production every day
Help our customers drive customer communication, resulting in effective and efficient sales contacts that drive their organization’s revenue
Do Agile development, with Kanban and regular retrospectives
Function in a highly progressive, quick-iteration environment focused on delivering consistent, incremental customer value
Are highly collaborative and foster a learning environment
Own the back-end implementation of the front line; a system that provides and monitors direct contact with our users and their customers over email and calendaring interfaces
Your Daily Adventures Will Include
- Building applications in a modern web stack. We primarily use Ruby on Rails on the back-end, though there are services written in Go, Node and Elixir. We have data stores built on Redis, MySQL, and S3. We are beginning to adopt GraphQL. We use CircleCI/Concourse for continuous integration. Our platform runs on AWS using Kubernetes.
- Work with back-end APIs from third parties to efficiently implement our features
- Respond to changing requirements efficiently and responsibly
- Helping us build customer trust by keeping the quality bar high and delivering well tested code
- Quickly become a strong contributor on the team
- Experience with building distributed systems with a cloud service-oriented architecture
- Great communications skills
- Enjoy building and consuming web based APIs
- Experience with a variety of data store technologies and the SQL language
- Familiarity with continuous-deployment
- Willing to go above and beyond to help other team members
- Understanding of the impact on the reliability and efficiency of our service
- Willing to learn from others, and flexible in approach
- You embody our core values. We are hungry craftspeople, we have grit, we are honest, we take ownership, we have each other’s back no matter what, we’re one with our customers, and we find strength in diversity and inclusion
Why You’ll Love It Here
• 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees
• Unlimited PTO (and people actually use it!)
• 401k to help you save for the future
• Company-organized and personal paid volunteer days to support the community that supports us
• Fun company and team outings because we play just as hard as we work
• Diversity and inclusion programs that promote employee resource groups like OWN (Outreach Women's Network)
• A parental leave program that includes not just extended time off but options for a paid night nurse, food delivery, gradual return to work, and the Gottman Institute's Bringing Home Baby course for new parents
• Employee referral bonuses to encourage the addition of great new people to the team
• Plus, unlimited snacks and beverages in our kitchen
Read Full Job Description