Director of Engineering
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally with its mission to build the largest, simplest and most trustworthy local marketplace. We are a rapidly growing team and are looking to bring on passionate, motivated, inspiring and curious engineers and leaders to be part of our team.
OfferUp is looking for a Director of Engineering to scale and lead engineering organization from people, technology and execution perspective. The ideal candidate (you) will be experienced in managing an organization of backend/frontend developers and leading other managers. You will provide technical as well as organizational leadership in a fast-paced environment. You will also provide leadership in planning and execution by working effectively with stakeholders such as Product, Operations, Design, Research, Data scientists, etc. and nurture a collaborative working relationship between engineering and rest of the company. You will be responsible for driving engineering excellence with respect to people, design, architecture, code quality and operational excellence.
You have experience successfully driving the following:
- People/Culture Excellence: You are passionate about building and developing a world class engineering culture. You take pride in hiring, growing and mentoring the next generation of engineering leaders at OfferUp.
- Technical Excellence: You have earned the respect of your peers, managers and partners for your ability to grasp difficult technical challenges and invent practical, sustainable solutions.
- Execution Excellence: You rally your teams to meet their commitments to each other and to our customers. Find ways to fix and evolve systems/processes to drive up engineering efficiency and velocity.
- Product/Business Excellence: You drive and deliver results by building the best possible customer experiences that move the needle for business. Seeing your teams’ solutions ship, scale and make a measurable impact on customers’ lives excites and fuels you.
Basic Qualifications: (What you’ve done)
- BS in Computer Science, or equivalent
- 15+ years experience planning, designing, developing and delivering software
- 10+ years experience as a people manager in a software development organization
- Hands-on experience leading 30+ people tech teams which includes being manager of managers in a product development organization
- Experience in development of distributed/scalable systems, high-volume transaction and client applications
- Experience fostering your team’s engineering excellence and limiting their technical debt
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
- High attention to detail and proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Customer driven. Understands the impact that all decision will make on our users