Who we are:
Rover.com connects pet parents with the world’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalized care for their dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, and doggy day care. Founded in 2011 on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
Our global headquarters are in Seattle, Washington in the United States, working closely with our teams in Spokane, Berlin, London, and Barcelona. We have a track record of being recognized as a great place to work, having been named among Seattle's 'Best Places to Work' in Seattle Business Magazine and the Puget Sound Business Journal for three years running. We're an agile, fast-growing company, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies. Our pioneering approach to people and pups alike landed us on the list of GeekWire’s Next Tech Titan in 2019 and the World's Most Innovative Companies in 2018 by Fast Company. Needless to say (but we're going to say it anyway)—we love dogs, and we wouldn't dream of going to work without them by our sides.
Who we're looking for:
Rover seeks an experienced engineering manager to help grow our on-demand dog walking customer base. You’ll manage a team of talented engineers to build and refine features that make it easier, more compelling, and more satisfying for more pet parents to use Rover to ensure their dog gets the exercise & stimulation that a daily dog walk can provide.
Through mentorship and removing roadblocks you’ll help your team deliver their projects on time, at a high level of quality, and with engineering excellence. You’ll partner with product managers to develop, prioritize, and execute your team’s roadmap, and together with the tech lead you manage you’ll guide the architecture and implementation strategy for what your engineers build. Equally importantly, you’ll be responsible for supporting the career growth and personal development of the engineers on your team.
- Using agile development methodologies to prioritize, estimate, and deliver projects with increasing efficiency
- Driving your team’s hiring and onboarding processes
- Mentoring and developing the engineers on your team, including setting their goals and delivering their reviews
- Working with product managers to build out and execute your team’s strategic vision and roadmap
- Working with tech leads to flesh out technical requirements and advocate for your team’s engineering investments
- Fostering your team’s engineering excellence and limiting their technical debt
- Coordinating projects with cross-team dependencies
- Communicating project status and issues to stakeholders
- 3+ years of experience managing individual contributors
- Experience with large-scale consumer-facing websites and apps is required, and experience with two-sided marketplace businesses is a major plus
- Experience with Rover's technology stack (AWS, Python / Django, Docker, Elastic Search) or similar is preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, STEM, or equivalent experience
- Your values align with Rover's Core Values
- We are proud to be professional software developers building high quality, scalable, and supportable solutions.
- We embrace progressive engineering practices including a continuous deployment pipeline and automated testing. Our engineers just merge their branch and it ships.
- We're serious about the quality of our production operations, and employ thorough system, application, and user interaction monitoring and anomaly detection.
- We're data-driven and believe in informing many of our decisions through experimentation.
- Our feature teams represent small autonomous business units with developers, product managers, and designers working side-by-side.
- And, dogs in the office. Bring yours, too!
Benefits of Working at Rover.com:
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- 4 weeks paid time off
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting your first dog
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs)
- Free catered lunches semi-monthly
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more
- 50 free dog walks a year
Candidates must be eligible to work in the US.
Rover is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse, inclusive and inventive environment with the best employees. We’re driven by seeing our people succeed and grow, and we work to ensure everyone contributes to their fullest potential. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.