Engineering Manager - Discovery at OfferUp
OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and reinvent local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust.
At a Glance
- 85M+ Downloads
- Geekwire App of Year
- 15+ percent of adults in key markets like Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami and Las Vegas use OfferUp every month
About the role:
The Discovery team is responsible for showing the most relevant content to users and for helping buyers find what they are looking for on OfferUp. We like to think of our charter as being the “Google for OfferUp”. Our team leverages technologies such as ElasticSearch and a multitude of ML models to show the most relevant content to users and are constantly working to improve search. The team manages some of the highest QPS services within OfferUp. We have barely scratched the surface in terms of what we want to do and the possibilities are huge. The OfferUp Mobile Development Team is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead the Discovery team as we disrupt the local mobile marketplace.
As an Engineering Manager, you will lead a highly motivated team of backend engineers. You will foster an engineering culture focussed on learning and rapid validation of ideas through experimentation. As an engineering leader you will support the career growth and development of the engineers on your team and continuously improve our engineering/operational excellence. You will also collaborate with our product, design, and data science teams to design and improve our customer experience.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Build and lead engineering team in achieving a high level of technical quality, reliability, and ease-of-use
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with OfferUp’s recruiting team
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Develop the technical strategy for the Discovery team
- Develop highly scalable systems that are capable of handling the large volume of ingested items without compromising on the quality of the feed.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams (Merchants Api, Catalog and Integrity) to design and implement new features
- Drive engineering and operational excellence across Discovery and OfferUp-wide Backend teams
- Collaborate with OfferUp-wide engineering teams to improve processes, surface common pain points, develop solutions and evangelize best practices
- Identify when to replace and when to rebuild legacy systems
- Participate in a reasonable on-call rotations with the rest of the team
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- 8+ years of relevant engineering work experience and 4+ hands-on management experience
- Exceptional coding abilities and experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications
- Track record in partnering with recruiting to build incredible engineering teams
- Actively coached and mentored team members in their careers
- Actively involved in setting product strategy
- Shipped several large scale projects with multiple dependencies across teams
- Eligibility to work in the United States
Helpful, but not required:
- Search domain experience
- Scrum master experience
- Github repo with your own code we can view
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.