Junior Android Developer at Geocaching HQ (Seattle, WA)
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:45 a.m. (PST) on Thursday, January 30, 2020
By clicking Apply Now you agree to share your profile information with the hiring company.
About Geocaching HQ
We are the global headquarters for the game of geocaching. Our apps and the Geocaching.com website enable a global community of millions of people to join in a real-world treasure hunt.
Our mission (and yours, should you choose to accept it) is to inspire and enable discovery, exploration, and adventure. Basically, everyone’s job here is to enable people all over the world to have more fun outside. How cool is that?
We are seeking a Junior Developer to join the team that creates and maintains the suite of Geocaching apps for Android phones. The team is currently embarking on the reinvention of the way Geocaching is played on mobile devices. We’re seeking someone who is willing to learn and grow with us to become an effective member of the Android team.
What we’re looking for in a Junior Mobile Developer
- A strong foundation of object-oriented programming skills and familiarity with computer science topics including data structures and algorithms
- Ability to keep up with rapidly changing platforms and paradigms. Technology is always changing fast!
- Enjoyment of close collaboration, both within and outside the team
- Willingness to learn what it takes to create solid, testable code that delights our product team, and our users
Qualifications & Required Skills
- 1+ years of experience as a hands-on developer
- Bachelor’s degree (MIS or Computer Science emphasis) or equivalent experience
- Proficiency with Java
- Knowledge of Material Design patterns
- Understanding of fundamental software development principles including design patterns and data structures
- Understanding of RESTful web services
- Understanding of Agile methodologies including Scrum and/or Kanban
Nice to have
- Working knowledge of Kotlin
- Knowledge or experience with dependency injection (specifically using Dagger2)
- Experience with automated UI tests using Espresso
- Experience writing unit tests with JUnit
- Exemplifies our values (effectiveness, authenticity, passion) in actions and behaviors.
- Superb communication, interpersonal, and negotiation skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Desire to learn and a “quick study” with new concepts, systems, and technologies
- Self-starting, self-directed, and open to coaching/feedback
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to remain stationary for long periods of time. In this position, you must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the only duties, responsibilities, and qualification for this job. Incumbents may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire related job skills and perform other related work as required.
Geocaching HQ embraces a diverse and inclusive workplace. Authenticity is one of our company core values and we strive to celebrate our differences. We encourage everyone to apply.
Read Full Job Description