Manager of Engineering, Hardware
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history.
There is an incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Why We Need You
We have a deeply accomplished team hailing from a wonderfully diverse set of industries. We owe it to them to provide a forward-thinking, strong, and caring leader who can help our hardware engineering team thrive and grow.
Our hardware product challenges span an incredible range of technologies, from optics to robotics to fluid dynamics to injection molding. But most of our customers are home users who want a device of unparalleled power and simplicity. That means they expect and deserve a product that weaves all of these divergent technologies together seamlessly. You are the engineering leader who can make that happen, so the whole of our products is so much greater than the sum of the parts.
Here's What You'll Be Doing
You’re going to lead and grow our electrical and mechanical design team to deliver Glowforge hardware. You will partner closely with your colleagues in manufacturing, supply chain and software to deliver ever greater capabilities to our customers. That means:
- Helping our engineers increase performance, deliver new features, and reduce cost - by coaching, mentorship, and by contributing yourself.
- Leading the the engineering team at eye level, and equipping them to thrive in a dynamic environment.
- Improving our engineering toolkit and development process to world-class levels
- Working with the broader team to develop the requirements and specifications that will drive our products forward.
You Need These Qualifications
- You have at least 10 years experience, and either a BS in ME or EE, or equivalent experience.
- You have managed engineers at a startup before
- You have shipped multiple consumer products
- You have failed more times than you can count, but have an amazing portfolio because of that
It Would Be Nice If. . .
- You have succeeded at both startups and big companies.
- You have built mechatronics and/or laser products.
- You have both EE and ME experience.
- You have walked the lines of many factories and have an eye for spotting issues.
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a LinkedIn profile or GitHub account are fine.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.
Read Full Job Description