Returnship: Software Engineer (Android) at Ookla (Seattle, WA or Remote)
Have you taken some extended time away from your career in support of family or personal obligations? At Ookla, we know that career pauses are sometimes the best way for us to support our family and loved ones. After a professional break, it might be daunting or difficult to imagine returning to a daily professional life. We are working with our parent company, ZD, who has created ZD ReStart to make that return more accessible to everyone.
ZD ReStart is a 16-week paid returnship hosted by Ziff Davis. Candidates who have taken a professional career hiatus for at least two years will be eligible to apply to this program, subject to other standard hiring conditions and practices by ZD and Ookla. Upon completion of the 16-week program, all candidates will be evaluated for conversion to a full-time position!The Team
Ookla, the company behind Speedtest and Downdetector, is a team of passionate individuals who have turned clever ideas into unique products and a thriving business. Globally, millions of tests are performed every day across the Speedtest ecosystem on the web, desktop and mobile apps, embedded in routers and deployed in thousands of servers. With all that usage comes countless ways to dissect and analyze our data, and plenty of exciting opportunities to optimize our monetization strategy. It also gives us the ability to help make the internet better, faster and more accessible for everyone. If you crave the chance to do your best work in a flexible work environment where we value individuality and fun as much as we value talent, we want to hear from you.The Role
We are looking for someone who has been an Android Software Engineer in the past and is looking to get back into it. You must be able to work within a team environment. A successful candidate will help Ookla deliver the next generation of Speedtest native products to our users and customers.Expectations for Success:
- You will play a key role in the development of our Android applications on a variety of form factors (phones, tablets, TVs). This includes design, implementation, testing, deployment, documentation and maintenance.
- You will be asked to solve for reliability, scale and flexibility, all the while implementing a visually rich and slick user experience.
- You will Integrate analytics to ensure optimal performance of deployed code.
- You will collaborate with a small group on architecture, technology choices, and interactions with other core components such as shared libraries, backend APIs or our distributed server network.
You are eligible for this program if you have been out of the workforce for at least 2 years, subject to other standard hiring conditions and practices by ZD and Ookla.
- Staying home to raise your family
- Taking needed time off to provide personal care for a loved one
- Wish to return to work after retirement
- Necessary sabbatical from the workforce for personal reasons
- Professional experience with Android application development, including experience with the application submission and review process.
- Expertise in Java or Kotlin with a solid foundation in data structures, algorithms and design patterns.
- Solid understanding of multi-threading and concurrency, including Java threading primitives, java.util.concurrent, Looper/Handler, io.reactivex.Scheduler, coroutines, etc
- Enjoy writing unit, integration, and user interface tests.
- Proficiency with collaborative development workflows (branches, PRs) and continuous integration practices and frameworks
- Strong time management skills and a self driven work ethic.
- Experience with C++ or JNI.
- Experience with iOS development and/or Kotlin Multiplatform.
- Contributed to open source projects.
Ookla provides the best hardware, software, and tools available for you to do your work.
Upon successful completion of the returnship program candidates may receive, but are not guaranteed to receive, an offer for full-time employment. In addition to successfully completing a returnship, any offer of full time employment is also contingent upon the business needs of the company. The terms of this program are subject to change. Visit [our Built In Seattle page].Location
This is a remote/office based position which may be performed anywhere in the United States except for within the state of Colorado.