Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
You aren’t like everybody else. You aim a little higher. You reach a little further. Your experience is much broader than just a previous career or a few past jobs. You've been listening, learning, and paying attention to recent events which have demonstrated to you why building world-class technology for Public Safety is so important. You do more because it matters to you. And when it comes to looking for that next opportunity, you want to do work that matters to others.
At Axon, we build connected devices such as body cameras powered by an industry-leading digital evidence management platform. Our hardware, software, and training platforms bring security, efficiency, and transparency to law enforcement and are enabling us to truly change the world. The Axon business is growing rapidly and we are looking for a dedicated and proven Backend Engineer to join our Virtual & Augmented Reality team.
As the founding member and lead for Axon’s VR/AR engineering team, you will be responsible for bridging the gap between our VR content and the broader Axon Ecosystem. We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer to design and build cloud services that power our VR and AR-based training, as well as build out a broader engineering team over time. The training we produce will communicate with Axon’s cloud, based in Microsoft Azure Platform, and provide both internal and external users an experience to manage VR analytics reporting, VR content, device health, and an admin portal for the thousands of agencies where our VR systems are deployed. You will partner with multiple engineering teams, both internally and externally, while leveraging your interest in backend technologies and services to make our solutions better, easier to maintain and more performant. We are working with cutting edge technology and need your help to make it all come together.
You will join an interdisciplinary team tackling the biggest challenges in public safety training head-on, including immersive VR-based empathy development training and de-escalation training to help officers engage with the communities they serve with greater awareness and safety. We seek to accomplish this while abiding to the following guiding principles:
Build AR and VR Solutions for Social Good: With our mission to Protect Life, we develop AR/VR solutions that benefit both law enforcement and the community, while addressing key issues in society.
Empower Agencies with Data: Deliver ongoing data and analysis that provide agencies with key insights that enable them to make decisions that result in building better, more efficient, and positive programs.
Develop an Active and Diverse Virtual Platform: Leverage the latest in AR & VR technologies to create a robust portfolio of solutions and the highest-quality content, that enable users to be more effective in their roles and manage the challenges of 21st century public safety.
Your Day to Day
- Work closely with various core tech teams and other external organizations to define architecture and develop services that work towards our various technology roadmaps and products.
- Review requirements, specifications and technical design documents to provide timely and impactful feedback.
- Develop micro-services and core features from initial design to final deployment.
- Work with partners in other disciplines and other teams to drive collaborative efforts.
- Ensure streamlined deployment of product in cloud environments.
- 5+ years of experience in software engineering
- Experience building complex and impactful software in a team environment
- Experience with Cloud (PaaS, SaaS) services and solutions
- Backend service experience in managed languages such as Java, Scala, Go, C#, or similar
- You influence your peers, advise senior leaders, coach and mentor junior team members
- You love delighting end customers and hunger for novel challenges
- Experience designing and delivering high-availability Cloud Service Technologies (Google Cloud, AWS, or Azure) including Kubernetes or Docker
- Experience in REST architecture for web services and building secure, scalable APIs
- Mobile development on Android
- You are passionate about quality design, code, tools and architectures
- Interest in building a small team of developers.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Robust parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with real police officers in real life situations, see them use technology, get inspired
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.